Indirect Gratitude

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Indirect Gratitude

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:23 am

I say, "Thank you for your support."
Some people say, "I would like to thank you for your support." To which I reply, "Okay, go ahead and thank me." To which they reply, "I just thanked you." To which I reply, "No, you said you would like to thank me, so go ahead." What should I think when people say, "I would like to thank you." Am I being to particular and perhaps a little pedantic?
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:58 pm

Yep, I'll go for pedantic. I see this one as a form of, "It would please me to thank you for your support." Or, "It is my pleasure to...."

Along those lines, what does it mean to be "to particular"?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:54 am

From Merriam-Webster one definition is: particular - concerned over or attentive to details : meticulous <a very particular gardener>
Synonyms: choosy (or choosey), dainty, delicate, demanding, exacting, fastidious, fussy, nice, old-maidish, finicky, persnickety, picky

My use of "particular" is closest to the synonym "exacting", wanting things to be just so. I see some things one way and am a critical if other people see differently. My longsuffering wife and many friends have told me that I am particular to a fault. Should I reform? Can I reform?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:06 am

Sorry, but my question was a pedantic one about the difference between "to" and "too". If I knew how to use emoticons I'd toss in a few here, but I'm not well versed.

I suppose I should refrain from picking on the other recent critical blip, too? :)
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:29 am

Slava,

I overlooked my mistake in using "to" for "too". I gratefully stand corrected and am sorry I missed it in your first reply.

Pedantry is good. Bearbaiting is bad. The folks in these forums never bearbait.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:41 pm

Being a Baylor Ex, I immediately thought of the game where the two bear cubs escaped their handlers as the UT longhorn, "Bevo," led the Longhorns onto the field. The bears chased the steer off the field, as on that occasion the football Bears defeated their rivals. Bear-baiting or steer-baiting?
Oh you guys, I read Philips initial gambit as something I do at times, using the "pedantry" as humor, pulling one's leg, so to speak. "I want to thank you," to which I reply, "Why don't you?"
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:15 pm

"Why don't I?" Reply or change my ways?" I suppose I don't change my ways becaues I like it the way I am: pedantic and geezeresque (probably not a dictionary word). Some people say I am also pendent as in "heavy, heavy hangs over your head."

When the mascot Baylor bears chased the mascot UT steer is was almost steer baiting. The steer would have been tied up and the bears loose for it to be actual baiting.

There is a quaint novel, "Precious Bane" by Mary Webb, in which the weaver encouraged the children to say: “Bull baiting is bad!" Do you know this novel?

I was too poor to go to Baylor. My wife and two of our children went to Baylor. After sending the children to Baylor, I was poor again.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:20 pm

At least you have a well educated wife and kids. I went to Baylor 53-56 on a ministerial scholarship, which reduced tuition. Dad gave me $300 a quarter, which worked fine until my last q when i needed another 100. A friend and I once figured a ministerial student could eke by on 700 a yr, which he was doing.
On smart-alecky responses, I love Groucho's response when someone asked, " May I join you?" "Why? Are we coming apart?" but I get only the occasional amused smile. I'll remember more eventually but try not to trouble you with them. BTW, all three animals were on leashes to no avail. I was there. Love it! And love the memory.
pl

Return to “Res Diversae”