Pronunciation and rhythm

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Pronunciation and rhythm

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:53 pm

I posted again on the thread I started two years ago on Romance languages yesterday. The conversation had evolved to discussing regional pronunciations, which included city names. Louisiana is the champion, I think, in weird names and their sounds. But a new thought cropped up this morning. I'm a native of Monroe, 30 miles to the east, and that town hs a variety of pronunciations. The proper pronunciation (according to me) is equal emphasis on both syllables. However, you hear MAHNroe and MonROE. Then I thought that sometimes I stress the last syllable depending on the rhythm of the sentence, such as "I plan to go to MonROE tomorrow." So I wonder whether others of you have noted similar alterations in pronunciation due to perceived rhythm?
And while I'm at it, a pet peeve: don't EVER pronounce the state Loosiana or LouEEsiana. Just say Louis with a z sound and add iana (or perhaps yana).
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:10 pm

"Louis".

Is that Lew-iss
or
Lew-ee?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Short i. Lew-is.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:33 am

Perry, How about "Lu-zee-A-nah"? I believe that's the redneck pronounciation in my neck of the woods. My Ferriday, LA kin say "Lu-ZA-nuh" to rhyme with "Suzannah". If I understand your pronounciation guide, I have never heard it the way you say it.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:32 pm

I've heard it every which way, but still I contend that lewis-i-ana is correct Eng pron. I'm sure the French did something else with it.
pl

Return to “Res Diversae”