INTERCALATE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

INTERCALATE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:50 pm

• intercalate •

Pronunciation: in-r-kê-layt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: To insert into at various points, especially in a series, as to intercalate graphics at appropriate points in a book

Notes: Today's Good Word is obviously a perfectly formed Latin borrowing and so has the usual panoply of derivations: the noun is intercalation and the adjective, intercalary, as February has an intercalary day every four years (Leap Year).

In Play: Because of this word's close association with calendars, it is particularly fit to express the insertion of periods: "Maybe we should intercalate a few more vacation days into the schedule to reduce the stress levels of the crew." It is a good word to toss at a verbal bully who doesn't let any one else speak. "If I could just intercalate my own opinion," just might suffice to send him or her to a dictionary, allowing you time to express yourself.

Word History: Today's Good Word is based on the past participle (intercalatus) of the Latin verb intercalare "to proclaim", made up of inter "between, among" + calare "to call". This verb also contains the stem calendar is based on. calendarium, an account book whose name is based on calends, the first day of the month, when accounts were due and called in in ancient Rome. The original meaning of intercalate was to add days to the calendar to make it more accurate. (David Staebler suggested that we intercalate this interesting word among the Good Words of our series.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:54 am

Is this the word to refer to the marvelous invention of some more expensive printers than I have owned that can automatically print, say, five pages and feed them out in proper order?
pl

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:30 pm

I realized I had most often herd "colate" to refer to the printing distribution, but further research in dictionaries on this site would indicate there's no such word. I wonder whether it's a shortening of "intercalate"?
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:33 pm

I think the word you refer to has two "L"'s :

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/collate
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Thanks, Luke, you are exactly correct.
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:39 pm

Too many years being in charge of all printing in
the school. Newsletters, school paper, etc.
The word is, for me, like an extra finger.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”