Boondocks

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:37 pm

To say nothing of grandmothers, if all 10 were married.
Can someone be a grandfather without getting married? :)

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:15 pm

If we can have single parents...........
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:53 pm

If we can have single parents...........
Ah, parthenogenesis? :wink:

Kidding, of course. I do expect we're talking one's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather here.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:44 pm

I knew you were kidding.
Don't male seahorses bear the young???
I am sure he meant his 10 great grandfather too.
It's great, I'm sure to be able to trace one's
ancestry back that far.
I once taught a boy who was Thomas Reynolds VIII.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:57 am

Slava, Thanks for the heads up on riparian as a Goodword. I would have looked it up before I suggested it to the Good Doctor. but you saved me the trouble. Dr Beard did such a good job discussing it. I am glad the word has such ardent admirers. I have loved this word for many years.

Perry, detritus was not a word I learned at my Mother's knee and is not nearly as beautiful as riparian. I rarely ever use it. It seems, however, to hold its definition inside itself.

Wow! Everyone surely stomped on me about my 10th grandfather. I deserved it. Just to be clear, I did mean a 10th great-grandfather (twelve generations ago). His name was Strother and he is the ancestor of two presidents, several generals and a whole lot of other highfalutin’ folk. He is also a progenitor of a lot of us red necks. Jimmy Carter is one of his descendants. Jimmy and I are about 8th cousins. The Strother Society is very proud of itself and I, in my humility, have never joined it. Think of anyone you know. She/he has a very good chance of sharing a tenth or closer great-grandfather with you. Knowing it is the thing that interests genealogists.

I have had four Richard Hudsons in a row in my ancestry. I have many Henry Hudsons as ancestors, including a grandfather and a great-grandfather. The explorer Henry Hudson is not one of them. I don't believe he has any living descendants unless they are Hudson Bay Amerinds. You may know that he and his son were deserted there. The explorer and I do share an ancestor named Henry Hudson (much more distant than a 10th great-grandfather). Don’t become a genealogist if you fear finding hanged horse thieves in your ancestry. It's pretty sure they are there.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

wurdpurrson
Lexiterian

Postby wurdpurrson » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:19 am

Isn't all of this great-great-great-stuff related to 6 degrees of separation? We are all family at some point, I suspect, if we look far enough in the right direction. Howdy, cousin.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:57 am

You said it, Hi Cuz!. That sort of ancestor search is a
long desired wish of mine. Maybe some day, with all the
online search sites. I just don't think I could pay what
they probably request to go back from generation to
generation.

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:04 am

Lots of discussion about genealogy here. Interesting! Luke, you might try this link as a possible starting place: https://www.familysearch.org/ It's free. There are sites that aren't. I was speaking to my wife and she remembers going to seafood boils as a kid. She said they would put water, cut-up lemons, new potato halves, small corn on the cobs and Old Bay Seasoning in large pots over a gas fire out in the yard. When the water was at a rolling boil and the potatos and corn was cooked, they dumped in shrimp, crawdads, oysters and any other kind of seafood you wanted into the pot. When the seafood was ready, the water was drained off and the whole thing was poured onto a table covered with several layers of newspaper. All you needed was a fork (if you were hifalutin'), otherwise you used your hands. I've never been to one of these boils, but it sounds like fun!
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:44 am

Thank you for the link: I look forward with experimenting
on it. Very appreciative, I am.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:09 am

Philip, I use detritus on average 2.65 times a month. And just how many parents did you have if you had 10 grandfathers?!
Ages ago my younger brother told me of a classmate, joking about another's large family, who mentioned "forefathers and three mothers." :lol:

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: BOONDOCKS

Postby Slava » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:41 pm

I just came across this interesting tale of how boondocks got to be much more commonly used here:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/201 ... illippines
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:03 am

Thank you Slava for resurrecting one of my favorite Agora threads. I used to be from the boondocks myself. Then I got a little sophisticated and began calling it the hinterlands. I like the Germanic sound of the word. The boondocks aka hinterlands I occupy can be found only in my state of mind. I live inside the actual gridlock of the Mighty Metroplex, Dallas/Fort Worth. Sitting in my man cave with no distractions except for my PC, my mind wanders back to when I really lived in the hinterlands. Alas, the hinterlands of my youth have been turned into massive deer ranches. There rich "hunters" sit in an easy chair and shoot at deer the beaters have rounded up. Dusgusting.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:19 pm

Boonedock showed up among the new posts, so I clicked on it. Surprised to find the last comment was in 2006. Wondering how I got placed with the new ones? Still, it is a good thread to review.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:31 pm

:?:
As this thread started in 2012, I'm confused as to where the 2006 date comes from.

It showed up in the new topics because there had been new posts made to it. Anyone can go back and comment on any old post and it will show up in the recent posts list.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”