Quistuipater

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.

Do you know what Quistuipater means?

Ita vero -- I know something you don't know!
60%
No -- Latin is dead, as dead as can be; first it killed the Romans, and then it killed me.
40%

Total votes: 5

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Quistuipater

Postby Stargzer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:02 pm

quistuipater

I ran across that ID in a column by Mark Gibbs of Network World. I think that's his Twitter ID. I don't tweet, but I do like that handle.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:17 pm

Well, it's much better than "tvoyumat'". :twisted:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:17 am

I tried some online translators and came up dry. What does it mean?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:38 am

It's the Russian for "Your Mother!" With all that implies. In fact, it wasn't until I learned the Russian that I understood why "Your Mother!" is so bad in English.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:10 pm

There was an ancient Saturday Night Live sketch with John Belushi and Richard Pryor doing Belushi's famous Samurai schtick. They are two hotel bellhops (in Samurai costume complete with swords with hair drawn back) who get into an argument over who's going to carry the guest's heavy bags up to the room. Pryor says, "Yo' mama-san!" to which Belushi replies "Yo' granmama-san!" Pryor says "My granmama-san?" to which Belusi nods his head. Pryor takes out his Samurai sword, and with a shout of "HAAAIIIIII-YA!" cleaves the hotel desk in twain. Belushi quietely says, "OK!" and picks up the bags.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:27 am

Sorry, I forgot to post the answer for all to see:
And the answer is:

quistuipater

quis tui pater

Who your father (is)

Who's your daddy!
Well, I don't know if the Latin is perfectly grammatical, but then, I didn't make this one up; I just saw it and, using my rudimentary Latin I and II skills from 43 years ago, burst our laughing. (Any old-time Catholic should have recognized "pater" from "Pater Noster.")

Slava, I'm curious how the Ruskies get "Mother" from "Pater." On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't be ...
Regards//Larry

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:41 am

Slava, I'm curious how the Ruskies get "Mother" from "Pater." On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't be ...
Actually, they don't. What I was getting at was that "tvoyumat" could be a similar, but much worse tagline.

On a similar note, one of the top 50 posters here is "Huia Lesu." This means, in Russian, "F--- the forest." Basty nastards we have out there. Tfoo, tfoo, tfoo!

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

resurrecting ancient thread...

Postby misterdoe » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:32 pm

Funny thing is, I looked at this and the first thing to pop into my mind was, "Who's yer Daddy!" :)

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:54 pm

Pretty much the same here, mr d, but I just mite steal it.
pl

Return to “Languages of the World”