DRACONIAN

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:55 pm

Phillip H. Greene County, huh? Found this on Wikipedia: [/quote]Greene County is the least populous county in the U.S. state of Alabama. Its name is in honor of Revolutionary War General Nathanael Greene of Rhode Island. As of 2010 the population was 9,045. Its county seat is Eutaw.[1]

Greene County is part of the Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Metropolitan Statistical Area.[quote] Interesting! Although Eutaw is the largest city in Greene County and the county seat, the most popular city is Tuscaloosa, the home of the University of Alabama. So, ROLL TIDE!!! :D My wife is a big U of A fan. I was telling her the other day I needed to go back to Texas to visit family and old friends. Hopefully soon. Texas by birth; Alabaman by choice; American and Southern by the grace of God. I say that in a humble way.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:11 pm

Are the folks in Eutaw mostly Mormon? Or is spelling where the Tide rolls out?
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:32 am

Eutaw is not a variant spelling for Utah. It was named for the Battle of Eutaw Springs, the last engagement of the American Revolutionary War in the Carolinas. Just why, I am not sure. There is no Mormon presence there at all that I know of. My Ggg-grandfater David Hitt was one of the first people of European ancestry to live in Greene County. To our shame, we removed the Native population. David Hitt was waiting in Tuscaloosa for the removal and when he arrived the ashes were still hot from the Amerinds' fires. /; ca
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:52 am

The junk at the end of the previous post is not an eomticon gone wrong. I accidentally poked "Submit" before I was finished with the posting. Hey, what do you expect? I'm older than dirt!

As further explanation, General Greene fought in the Revolutionary War Battle of Eutaw Springs in South Carolina and the Alabama county was named after him, hence the town for the battle. The battle is mentioned in the State Song of South Carolina. I haven't looked further for the origin of the word Eutaw. I shall leave that as an exercise for the students.

Our treatment of the Amerinds in America is not a noble heritage. Remember, however, that the Germanic hordes overran Celtic England. History ain't purty sometimes.

As for religion in Eutaw, Presbyterians seem to be in the plurality with Baptists a close second. Everyone there is either African American or Red Neck. They are all great folks. I still have kin there.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”