Purdonium

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Purdonium

Postby Grogie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:33 am

I accidentally put this word in the ''Welcome Home'' section. My apologies. In Britain, it referred to a decorative metal box where coal was stored for use. ''He had to get some more coal out of the purdonium because the fire was starting to die away.''

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:27 am

Good word: new one to me.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:23 pm

Grogie: I also replied in the ''Welcome Home'' section. Also my bad. Here is my reply in the appropriate section.

Purdonium could be the name of a radioactive element, but it isn't. It's terse, one-generation etymology is that it was named for a Mr. Purdon, who otherwise seems to be unknown.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:03 pm

It must be nice to be an 'unknown' and have a word
named after you. I could use Javan and be
"Javanistic", yet I don't know what it could mean.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:02 pm

I understated the case when I said purdonium had a one-generation etymology. Purdon is the name of a man. That is a one-generation etymology. What is the source of the suffix “ium”. I understand it as "pertaining to" or "producing". Several chemical elements end in “ium”. So do musical instruments: harmonium and euphonium. Palladium, not the chemical element, is an entertainment venue. I have read that the suffix is English, but that is not very helpful. Does or did it have an independent meaning? Whoever gives me the straight skinny on this gets a free turkey dinner. My slang dates me doesn’t it?
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:20 pm

You're among compatriots.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:39 pm

What is the source of the suffix “ium”.
a suffix found on nouns borrowed from Latin, especially derivatives of verbs (odium; tedium; colloquium; delirium), deverbal compounds with the initial element denoting the object of the verb (nasturtium), other types of compounds (equilibrium; millennium), and derivatives of personal nouns, often denoting the associated status or office (collegium; consortium; magisterium); -ium also occurs in scientific coinages on a Latin model, as in names of metallic elements (barium; titanium) and as a Latinization of Gk -ion (pericardium).
Origin:
< Neo-Latin, Latin, neuter suffix
The Greek -ion is a diminutive ending.

As purdonium comes from someone's name, doesn't that make it an eponym? Or is an eponym only if it is just the name, without additions?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”