shawarma

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
eberntson
Lexiterian

shawarma

Postby eberntson » Mon May 14, 2012 10:04 am

I know, I know it's just food, but because of the Avengers movie it is becoming a new sensation, and I think we might see a lot of movement and evolution around this word. Shawarma is also a cultural sensation in Germany, where it is almost a secret national dish because of the Turkish influence in Berlin and all over Europe. Isn't it worth being a predictor of a trend, this might lead to more central role of this food,. Just watch the Gyro will become mainstream again.

Plus, how often doe we get a word not based in Saxon or Latin.

sha·war·ma (sh-wärm) also shwar·ma (shwär-)
n.
Meat, especially beef, chicken, or lamb, that is roasted slowly on a spit and wrapped in pita bread, traditionally served with lettuce, tomato, and garlic sauce.
[Arabic wurma, wirma, from Turkish çevirme, a turn (as on a spit), meat roasted on a spit, from verbal n. of çevirmek, to turn.]
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon May 14, 2012 12:22 pm

In Boy Scouts I was taught to make shish-kabobs by alternating meat, onions, tomatoes, etc on a stick, wrapped in Bisquick made with apple sauce instead of water or milk. (Water is precious in camping.) Cooked over campfire and was excellent. Sounds related.
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”