CRAZY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

CRAZY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri May 18, 2012 9:41 pm

• crazy •

Pronunciation: kray-zee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Full of cracks, frail, about to fall to pieces. 2. Insane, demented, out of one's mind. 3. Wild but fun (crazy party), unpredictable, out of the ordinary, unorthodox (crazy idea), out of line or alignment (crazy brick pattern).

Notes: After the crazy primaries we are experiencing in the US in 2012, I thought that today we should investigate the word crazy itself. This adjective compares with suffixes: crazier and craziest. The adverb is crazily and the noun, craziness (don't forget to replace Y with I before suffixes). A person who is crazy is a crazy who belongs to the class of all crazies. We have also back derived a new noun, a craze, which means craziness over something very popular, such as the current iPad craze. A craziologist is a psychiatrist or psychologist whom you don't like.

In Play: The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) has not declared the original meaning of today's Good Word obsolete, so we must deal with it: "I don't understand how grandma's crazy pitcher holds any water." My wife once made pottery with crazy raku glazes (like the one above) in the original sense of this Good Word. But the adjective today is used far more often to refer to the behavior of someone out of their mind: "Swallowing live goldfish was called a craze back in the 20s because it was a crazy thing to do."

Word History: English speakers were using pot in reference to the skull at least by the 15th century. The metaphor of a cracked pot (or simply crackpot) referring to someone who is out of their mind started sometime later. It began with cracked brain and ending up simply as cracked in modern English. Crazy, derived from the verb craze, took on the same meaning sometime in the 17th century. The verb itself was probably borrowed from the same Old Norse word that ended up in Swedish as krasa "to crackle". It is related to crash and crack. (Today we thank that wild and crazy guy Perry Dror for discovering the insanity of today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat May 19, 2012 11:18 am

I like to appear pseudo-intellectual by calling crackpots psycho-ceramics.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun May 20, 2012 1:33 am

There is a town in Texas named Mineral Wells. They call the water from their wells "crazy water".
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun May 20, 2012 1:41 am

I like to appear pseudo-intellectual by calling crackpots psycho-ceramics.
Good one :D I can't say I'll ever use it myself, but it's fun nonetheless.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”