Agora Font Poll

What would you like to see on our site?

Do you want to change the font on the Agora?

No - This Font is Fine.
52%
Yes - A Serif Font (Times, for example)
44%
Yes - A Sans-Serif Font (Arial, Helvetica)
No votes
Yes - Wingdings
4%

Total votes: 25

ashaffer
Site Admin

Agora Font Poll

Postby ashaffer » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:23 pm

Hi,

Some of you have been commenting that you don't like the font on the Agora. Vote here to determine whether we should change it to something else.
Recursion is the root of computation since it trades description for time. - Alan Perlis

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:23 pm

I have no complaints, Andrew!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:05 pm

nor do I, :D

Katy

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:24 am

Yeah, it's fine with me. Can I vote again? :D

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:19 pm

I voted for the Serif font. To me, at the current font size, a Sans Serif font is slightly more difficult to read.

But I think overall the site is fantastic.

-Tim

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:46 pm

I also prefer reading in serif fonts, but the site is great either way. (I was kinda tempted to vote for wingdings, though. It would be an interesting dark horse candidate.)
gailr

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:59 pm

I also prefer reading in serif fonts, but the site is great either way. (I was kinda tempted to vote for wingdings, though. It would be an interesting dark horse candidate.)
gailr
I thought about that too early on, but I see someone finally did. It would have been REALLY interesting if Wing Dings won! Hey, Gail, maybe we should go back and try to skew the vote! :twisted:

Has anyone tried to slam-dunk the font in the browser? In IE, it's Tools/Internet Options/Fonts or Tools/Internet Options/Accessibility/Ignore font styles specified on Web pages.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:55 am

Thanks! I managed to set Times NR. Quite a relief. Now it remains to be seen how this setting handles Asian scripts, but now I should know how to fiddle the settings.
Irren ist männlich

mamawsandy
Junior Lexiterian

fine with this

Postby mamawsandy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:14 pm

I am fine with what is. But I can accept any font as long as it is easily readable. It should be a 4 in size cause I have old eyes. And it should be dark enough or light enough for the background it is on.
mamawsandy
I'm a Steel Magnolia
Tough but gentle
Like a lady

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Referring back to the double-space after full stop request, if the font currently used can be changed to something that doesn't squeeze sentences together so much, that would be a big help.

I don't remember seeing this poll before, but having been referred here I just tried to vote for a serif change. It tells me I already voted, and I have no idea what my vote was. If it wasn't understood that the font would affect spacing, I'd like to see this poll reset and tried again with that info as part of the poll. It would also be helpful to explain serif vs. sans-serif.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:27 pm

The font as is suits me fine.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Kathleen in Norway
Junior Lexiterian

Font

Postby Kathleen in Norway » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:39 am

I think the font (no serif) is fine, but it could be bigger!!

Kathleen in Norway

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Font

Postby Slava » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:33 pm

I think the font (no serif) is fine, but it could be bigger!!

Kathleen in Norway
I don't know how it works in other browsers, but with Firefox just push "ctrl +" to make the font bigger. Use "ctrl -" to go back to the original size.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat May 26, 2012 12:00 am

I had an article from a Printer's magazine that I can no longer find. But I remember it quite well. In a "scientific" study it has been determined that the ideal page for easy reading should:
1. Be in a serif (Roman) font. Times New Roman is preferred over others because of it's density and readability. In the print trade, sans serif fonts are called Gothic.
2. Have ragged right (left justified) margins. No, this is not a mistake. Justified type with even margins on both sides is pretty but not as readable. This text you are reading is in ragged right.
3. Be in black ink. This text is in black but I see hints of red in it. I think this is an optical illusion due to the small Gothic type.
4. Be printed on non-coated moderately, not bright, white paper.
5. Be in 12 point size. The type font on this forum is much too small. This, after rule 2, is the most ignored. Newspapers may be in Times New Roman, but their type size is much too small. Most books are in too small type. The size of type on a computer monitor is hard to determine. The size of the type in this forum is definitely too small. By the way, in good light I can read 4-point type with my reading glasses on. But is not very comfortable.
6. The spacing between sentences should be wider than the spacing between words.

Read this: Jill was ill, even illish. Copy this and paste it into Times New Roman. See the difference?

If you want pretty type you can use script fonts or sans serif fonts in colored ink on glossy paper. You can even use a colored background with white type. It may be pretty and get attention. But for general reading it fails.

Ancient writing was often letter next to letter with no spacing between words or sentences and no Upper/Lower case. Some of it went left to right others top down and others bottom up. Some were as the farmer plows, meaning the lines were vertical but alternately went from top to bottom and from bottom to top. Let us take advantage of the best presentation possible.

I suggest a larger Roman type be used in this forum. If anyone can find the source of the above rules, or similar (or conflicting) rules, I would appreciate seeing them.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat May 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Hadn't crossed my mind there was a problem with the font. Mostly I read on ipad and tapping it doubles the size. And usually i turm the pad sideways which also increases the size and makes typing much easier. I taught myself to type and was an adult before I found out you were supposed to double space at the end of a sentence. I thought the period solved that problem, and you probablly save 25 spaces on a typical double spaced page. The one thing I do hate with a passion is black letters on a blue background. When I get that, I hit control-A which gives white letters against a dark screen, and that is much more readable. But I have no readability problems with AA.
pl

Return to “Suggestions”