HEGEMONY (from my iPad)

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

HEGEMONY (from my iPad)

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:09 am

• hegemony •

Pronunciation: hê-je-mê-nee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: Control over others, especially control of one country or region over another, domination of another.
Notes: A nation that dominates another is a hegemon [he-jê-mên] that hegemonizes [hê-je-mê-naiz-iz] its sphere of influence. The adjective is hegemonic and the plural is hegemonies. Don't forget to change Y to I and add ES to form the plural

In Play: Today's Good Word is heard mostly in connection with international diplomacy and politics: "Everyone was happy to see the end of Soviet hegemony in Eastern and Central Europe." However, it works in economics equally well, where corporate hegemony, the disproportionate influence of corporations on our lives, has become a popular phrase: "Professor Wazziz Nem blames corporate hegemony for creating America's addiction to oil by promoting automobile travel over rail and river travel."

Word History: Today's Good Word is the English makeover of the Greek word hegemonia "leadership" from the noun hegemon "leader", a noun from the verb hegeisthai "to lead". The Greek root here is heg-; it comes from PIE sag- "to seek" which in fact went on to also become English seek and the sack in ransack. This latter word was taken from Old Norse rannsaka, made up of rann "house" + saka "to search". The same root became sagax (sagac-s) "of keen perception" in Latin, then wended its way down to French as sage "wise" and to Spanish as sagaz "wise". English borrowed both sage and sagacious from Old French.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Has always struck me as an ugly sounding word...until a few minutes ago when I thought: Hegemony, hegemony, chim chim cheree!
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:50 pm

I'm toying between:
1) you could go to Disney and get a job songwriting, or
2) you have too much time on your hands.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Took no time at all, Luke. Came in a flash! Wonder what Disney pays?
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:47 pm

It's always about the money, isn't it?
(yuk,yuk).
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”