Chinese stroke order

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
frank
Lexiterian

Chinese stroke order

Postby frank » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:02 pm

Hi all,

During my holidays i want to brush up my Chinese a bit and compile a kind of course for myself.
On line i found a lot of extra material, but what i cannot seem to find are tables with stroke orders for the various (basic) characters (the 你 and 好 kind of stuff). Of course there are a lot of animated gifs and other great, but moving and hence unprintable stuff.
Does anybody know where i can find tables with stroke orders?
Or -- and probably this is a silly question given the amount of characters and hence the amount of possible stroke orders - a kind of font/program to compile them myself?
Or any other possible alternative to implement stroke order in a written/printed course?

Many thanks in advance.

Frank

anders
Lexiterian

Re: Chinese stroke order

Postby anders » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:04 pm

what i cannot seem to find are tables with stroke orders for the various (basic) characters (the 你 and 好 kind of stuff). Of course there are a lot of animated gifs and other great, but moving and hence unprintable stuff.
Does anybody know where i can find tables with stroke orders?
I use the Wenlin programme when in doubt. Not cheap, but quite useful. http://www.wenlin.com. Ordering is not quite straightforward, unfortunately.

My teacher has found an official book on Chinese stroke order, but it's holidays now, so I can't access the title.
Or -- and probably this is a silly question given the amount of characters and hence the amount of possible stroke orders - a kind of font/program to compile them myself?
Hadn't thought of it, but would love to find something like that. Try MS Paint or similar do-it-yourself packages. Not even the Mojikyo font would solve that one.

Just look out, though. It seems that the Japanese don't always use the same sequence as the Chinese. I've found some cases involving downstrokes through horizontals, where the Japanese, IIRC, write all the horizontals before making the downstroke, while the Chinese leave the bottom horizontal to be the last one. And there will be cases like the 'full' dragon 龍 having 15 or 16 strokes.
Irren ist männlich

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:32 pm

The character for dragon has either 16 or 17 strokes, of which latter is hardly used anywhere.

Kanji writing orders vary significantly between different caligraphy schools in addition to national differences. At least in Japan, educating writing orders is sometimes regarded a good occasion to inculcate into pupils discipline, attention, obedience and national pride.

How many writing orders do you have in alphabet?

yaoyao
Junior Lexiterian

Postby yaoyao » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:30 am

As far as I know, there's a textbook for second language learners of Chinese called Integrated Chinese (IC for short). In addition to regular textbooks and work books, there's also an accompanying character book for IC level I, where all the new words used in the texts are listed with a clear illustration of strokes and stroke orders, and some space for users to copy the characters. It's probably the best text book I know. :D

have fun!

Return to “Languages of the World”