aver

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

aver

Postby KatyBr » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:43 am

a·ver (-vûr)
tr.v. a·verred, a·ver·ring, a·vers
1. To affirm positively; declare.
2. Law
a. To assert formally as a fact.
b. To justify or prove.

[Middle English averren, from Old French averer, from Vulgar Latin *advrre : Latin ad-, ad- + Latin vrus, true; see wr-o- in Indo-European roots.]

a·verment n.
a·verra·ble adj.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Verb 1. aver - report or maintain; "He alleged that he was the victim of a crime"; "He said it was too late to intervene in the war"; "The registrar says that I owe the school money"
allege, say
plead - make an allegation in an action or other legal proceeding, especially answer the previous pleading of the other party by denying facts therein stated or by alleging new facts
assert, asseverate, maintain - state categorically
2. aver - to declare or affirm solemnly and formally as true; "Before God I swear I am innocent"
avow, swan, swear, affirm, assert, verify
hold - assert or affirm; "Rousseau's philosophy holds that people are inherently good"
claim, take - lay claim to; as of an idea; "She took credit for the whole idea"
attest - authenticate, affirm to be true, genuine, or correct, as in an official capacity; "I attest this signature"
declare - state firmly; "He declared that he was innocent"
declare - state emphatically and authoritatively; "He declared that he needed more money to carry out the task he was charged with"
protest - affirm or avow formally or solemnly; "The suspect protested his innocence"
assure, tell - inform positively and with certainty and confidence; "I tell you that man is a crook!"
www.freedictionary.com
an underused word, I think.

I remember it was on Gunsmoke the TV show I first heard this word,When Doc said he would aver his patient had such and such disease, Festus said to Doc: "Doc even yer little words are big words."

Katy

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:00 pm

Latin ad-, ad- + Latin vrus, true
What's going on with this thing? It's the second time it has severed an e out of a word. It's verus, not vrus.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:22 pm

verissimus es. but vrus is also good to keep since it could fake as an intermediate form leading to French vrai.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:23 pm

I see that occurring often when the letter is an accented letter, such as an a-breve (ă) or an a-macron (ā). Before Unicode became widespread, some sites would use .gif images for these accented characters. Even with the proper encoding (i. e., Unicode) available, I find that the schwa (Image) shows up as a square box, ə, so I have to copy-and-paste the link to the original .gif

I often find that when I first paste a special character into the editing box here on the Agora, it get translated to an HTML escape sequence after a refresh.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:36 pm

I see that occurring often when the letter is an accented letter, such as an a-breve (ă) or an a-macron (ā). Before Unicode became widespread, some sites would use .gif images for these accented characters. Even with the proper encoding (i. e., Unicode) available, I find that the schwa (Image) shows up as a square box, ə, so I have to copy-and-paste the link to the original .gif

I often find that when I first paste a special character into the editing box here on the Agora, it get translated to an HTML escape sequence after a refresh.
Both your a's and the schwa's were displayed all right for me; no boxes and no hints of gif's (such copies often are revealed by a white background). The first schwa was, however, raised.

I'm getting used to the HTML sequence transmogrification when, for example, writing in Chinese. Strange, though.
Irren ist männlich

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:08 pm

. . . Both your a's and the schwa's were displayed all right for me; no boxes and no hints of gif's (such copies often are revealed by a white background). The first schwa was, however, raised.

I'm getting used to the HTML sequence transmogrification when, for example, writing in Chinese. Strange, though.
The first schwa is a .gif, set in a pair of IMG tags; the second, which shows up as a square box for me, is the character copied from the charmap.exe program, as are the two a's.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:18 am

The first schwa is a .gif, set in a pair of IMG tags; the second, which shows up as a square box for me, is the character copied from the charmap.exe program, as are the two a's.
Man, I feel so stupid around you guys. Can we go back to English?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:46 pm

Stargzer, you're using Internet Explorer, I bet... The schwa shows up as a square for me under IE also.

I don't have that problem with Mozilla's Firefox browser, though.

-Tim

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:15 pm

Stargzer, you're using Internet Explorer, I bet... The schwa shows up as a square for me under IE also.

I don't have that problem with Mozilla's Firefox browser, though.

-Tim
Yeah, I'm an IE kind of guy.

Years ago, on the IBM 270x and 370x front-end processors, there was an instruction called Data Wrap, which was used to echo back a test pattern internally. I felt compelled to compose a Data Rap in response. The first lines I wrote, which did not end up being the first lines of the Wrap, go like this:
In go the bits and out go the data.
This is a test but it isn't Beta.
Ain't beta than what? Well, my browser's IE,
And it's beta than Netscape if you ask Bill G.
:twisted:
Regards//Larry

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:47 am

They all work in my IE 6, regardless of my setting View to ISO or Unicode. But I have an insane number of fonts installed.
Irren ist männlich

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:39 pm

Irren ist männlich
Errare hispanicum est, verum non est, Errans Hispanice?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:21 pm

Irren ist männlich
Errare hispanicum est, verum non est, Errans Hispanice?

Brazilian dude
Cut from the same cloth as Henri, BD leaves the translation as an exercise for the student . . . :wink:
Regards//Larry

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:32 pm

Exactly, we both learned to tailor in the same school.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”