I'm still wandering around this site....

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
David McWethy
Lexiterian

I'm still wandering around this site....

Postby David McWethy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:05 am

....in wide-eyed amazement like a yokel at the County Fair, awe-struck at what he sees. For example, has anyone else noticed that for six of the past seven years, "gobble" has been a GoodWord during the last part of November? OK--that coincides with Thanksgiving, but why "gobble" and not "turkey"? Straaaaange.

Presented for consideration by my betters: "whirr" and "hunky-dory".

Carry on...
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:42 pm

You have heard the saying that watching the congress or legislature at work is like watching them make sausage or weiners? Perhaps it also applies to Dr G's word lab. :lol:
If you really are intrigued by inside stuff, I strongly recommend Caro's Passage of Power. Scary, with Democrats fighting for tax cuts to improve the economy! I assume the AR version of Athens is thought to be Ft Smith?
pl

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:10 pm

Sweet mother of pearl! Fort Smith has nothing to say for it's heritage than being the stomping grounds (in frontier days) of "Hanging Judge" Parker.

Athens was known for its elevation of learning and discourse; the obvious modern-day choice to compare it with is Fayetteville, located in the heart of the Ozarks and home of the University of Arkansas.

(And with all due respect and deference, I believe that the quotation--erroneously attributed to Otto von Bismarck--is "Those who enjoy laws or sausages shouldn't watch either one being made")
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: I'm still wandering around this site....

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:24 pm

....in wide-eyed amazement like a yokel at the County Fair, awe-struck at what he sees. For example, has anyone else noticed that for six of the past seven years, "gobble" has been a GoodWord during the last part of November? OK--that coincides with Thanksgiving, but why "gobble" and not "turkey"? Straaaaange.
You will notice, also, that almost all the holidays have repeat words. December 26 is Boxing Day, for one. I figure it's just a way for the Dr. to take a day off by simply repeating a word that suits the theme. More variety might be welcome, but you can't argue over the price.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:15 am

Sausages are a noble food. But not all sausages pass the test. Hot-dogs or frankfurters or weenies (all mean the same) are the cast-offs of sausages. The reason for the different names is that everybody is ashamed of them. The people from Frankfurt call them wieners (after Vienna) while the Viennese call them frankfurters. Hotdogs is an American moniker. Leave out bologna, English breakfast sausage and blood sausage and we can start talking about some real food here. Yes, I have made sausage, and I eat many varieties with relish. Law making is much less appetizing than sausage making.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”