BIVOUAC

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

BIVOUAC

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:16 pm

• bivouac •

Pronunciation: bi-vu-wæk • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, Verb, intransitive

Meaning: 1. Temporary quarters or campsite for a short stay, usually for soldiers, hikers, or mountain climbers. 2. A temporary campsite offering little shelter for a short stay.

Notes: Today's Good Word may be used 'as is' for a verb meaning to set up a bivouac, as to bivouac in the school gym during a storm. When suffixes beginning with a vowel are added to this stem, the root is extended by a K: bivouacs but bivouacked and bivouacking. Someone who bivouacs would be a bivouacker.

In Play: Today's Good Word is still used more in military contexts than in any other: "That night our outfit bivouacked in what we thought was an open field only to wake up in the morning surrounded by a herd of cows." However, it has long since escaped the exclusive domain of soldiering: "Kelly's brother bivouacked on the couch in our living room for three weeks before he found a job."

Word History: The spelling of today's word gives away its French origin: bivouac. This word seems to have arisen during the Thirty Years War from bivac, a dialectal variant of Swiss German Beiwacht "night watch", a supplementary night patrol carried out by civilians during that war. The Swiss German word is made up of bei "by, at" + Wacht "watch, vigil", the noun from wachen "to wake, watch, guard". The root here is clearly akin to English wake but also to witch, Wicca and wicked. How? Well, wickedness was associated with the activities of witches, but witches were originally seen as necromancers, people capable of waking the dead. (We would like to thank Larry Brady now for keeping a watch for curious words like this one, which he suggested for today's Good Word.)[/b]
• The Good Dr. Goodword

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:28 pm

I first heard this word when I was quite young, and my dad was talking about his military experiences. Context had me thinking it had something to do with getting beat up ("biff-whack"). :lol:

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:34 pm

I first heard this word when I was quite young, and my dad was talking about his military experiences. Context had me thinking it had something to do with getting beat up ("biff-whack"). :lol:
Nice! Reminds me of the movie Back to the Future, when Marty whacks Biff in the parking lot.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Nice! Reminds me of the movie Back to the Future, when Marty whacks Biff in the parking lot.

Great scene, I think it's time to re-watch those movies,
great adventure.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”