ARTIFICE. (from my iPod)

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

ARTIFICE. (from my iPod)

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:49 am

• artifice •

Pronunciation: ahr-tê-fis • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. An ingenious stratagem, device, contrivance. 2. A crafty or devious contrivance, a trick. 3. Deception itself.

Notes: Today's word is a member of a largely dysfunctional family. It originally meant "workmanship, craft" but now refers to something crafty—another word that has strayed away from its original meaning (compare it with craft). The adjective from this noun, artificial, has taken on its own meaning "not natural, man-made". If you need an adjective with a related meaning, you might try artificious, though most English speakers will not recognize it.

In Play: Life would not move along at all without artifices: "We use all sorts of artifices to get the kids to come to soccer practice: ice cream, videos, cookies after a good practice." Artifices are the foundation of pretexting: "All of Bill Jerome Holm's references and credentials turned out to be artifices to get us to buy land in the Arizona desert from him."

Word History: Today's Good word was borrowed like so many others from an Old French word meaning "craftsmanship". Old French inherited it from Latin artificium "trade, craft" from artifex "craftsman". This word is a compound made up of ar(t)s "art, craft" + -fex, fic- "maker" from facere "to make". Latin ars goes back to a Proto-Indo-European root ar- "fit together" which also turns up in arma "tool, arms", the source of such words as army, armada, and armadillo (diminutive of Spanish armado "armored"). Latin artus "joint" is the correlate of Greek arthron "joint", which underlies arthritis, the joint disease. (We will not resort to any artifice in thanking the most articulate Kathy Garrett for suggesting this Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:06 pm

A bit of a delayed, reaction, I admit, but this one's subject line is terrific.

ARTIFICE (from my iPod): What a great lead in to a piece on deception!

So, who are you kidding, Doc? It all looks real to me. :)
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:59 pm

Coming from an ipad would be a trick on a contrivance
if I attempted it.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:34 pm

Coming from an ipad would be a trick on a contrivance if I attempted it.
Aye, that would be an interesting trick to make a post from an iPad. It usually requires an iPod. :wink:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Actually no. Most of my posts on this site are entered on my ipad---as is this one.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:46 pm

:oops: Yep, you're right. I's the one what got it bass ackwards. Which makes the Subject of the original post even better, though, no?

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:57 pm

And coming from a person who does not know
the difference between the two.....
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”