Derecho

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Derecho

Postby Slava » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:16 pm

Day-RAY-cho. The opposite, more or less, of a tornado.

Tornado = twisted wind, more or less.
Derecho = straight wind, which can cause a lot of damage, but not perhaps as much as a tornado. It's in the forecast for my region tonight, without an explanation. I guess we're supposed to know this one already. Do you?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:36 am

Spanish word for derecho, right as in la mano derecho, right hand. Anti-cyclone?
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:11 am

Perry:
Shouldn't it be "el mano derecho"? Actually, the aspects of this Spanish expression have got me dumbfounded. The following may un-confuse you, but it still leaves me shaking my head in confusion.

http://spanish.about.com/od/spanishvoca ... erecho.htm

In Tex-Mex, "to the right " is simply "el recho".

There is certainly room in Spanish for Derecho to mean directly, or in a straight line. I assume we borrowed this for Derecho winds.

Early in my life I never heard the word tornado. We always said cyclone for anything as small as a dust devil to the concrete highway eating mega-tornado to hurricanes.

We have experienced a lot of derechos in the USA this year. I have experienced them many times. When a boiling wall of dust approaches the lone horseman on the prairie, he had better seek cover. I have been out and unprotected in seventy mph derechos with dust so black I couldn't "see my hand in front of my face." "Nature, like us, is sometimes caught without her diadem." Emily Dickinson.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:22 am

I was taught that mano was the only Spanish noun ending in o that was feminine, thus la mano. Also explains my confusion about derecho, since Spanish adjectives agree in gender with their nouns. So on the right hand,would translate a la mano derecha. Still, I wonder, because usually Spanish adjectives are available in either gender.

I also had trouble with cyclone. I remember Dorothy's Kansas house was hit by a cyclone, and I puzzled why it wasn't a tornado. Later I found that to weather people a cyclone is a clockwise weather pattern, often covering many states. Thus anticyclones would be the similar pattern in reverse direction, i.e. anticlockwise.
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”