RAFFISH

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

RAFFISH

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:30 am

• raffish •

Pronunciation: ræf-ish • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Vulgarly showy, cheap and tacky, tawdry. 2. Rakish, devilishly attractive, seductively disreputable with a 'devil-may-care' attitude.

Notes: Today's adjective is subject to the usual adjectival variations, an adverb, raffishly, and a noun, raffishness. Look out for the double F and you should have no trouble with the spelling of this word.

In Play: Although raffish can refer to tawdry dress, it is very mildly pejorative if pejorative at all: "Marigold came in from the garden with her water can dangling raffishly from her belt." At worst Marigold might be flirting with an individualist with her unusual accessory. When referring to pushing the envelope of personal behavior, it does not imply pushing it very far: "The raffish hippy of the 60s was now a staid member of the Establishment managing accounts at a Wall Street brokerage house." Raffish people are out of rhythm with the rest of us but attractively so.

Word History: Today's Good Word was borrowed from Swedish rafs "rubbish, rags", which also turns up in the rhyme compound riff-raff. Raff also means "a large number, a collection" but when it returned to US English in the 50s, it was most often pronounced raft by folk etymology, the tendency for speakers to convert unfamiliar words to familiar ones. (Katy Brezger is to be thanked for suggesting today's intriguing word; she knows a raff of them.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: RAFFISH

Postby Slava » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:27 am

I have no idea how I managed to miss this one when it came around. It's the perfect word to describe what the characters of the comic strip Doonesbury were in the very beginning. Especially in the second meaning.

Mike, Mark, BD, Boopsie, Zonker all make the grade, I'd say.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”