Nowhere near

You have words - now what do you do with them?
Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Nowhere near

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:10 am

From a news story: "Although nowhere near as strong as Katrina, Isaac is a massive storm."

"Nowhere near" bothers me. Substitute "not nearly" or just "nearly"? Are they all double negatives? Or are "nowhere" and "not" merely intensifiers? And can the adjective "strong" be modified adverbially through the as...as construction?

Whatcha think?
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Nowhere near

Postby Slava » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:02 pm

Nowhere near and nearly are nowhere close to being synonyms. Katrina was a category 5, Isaac barely made it to 1. Nowhere near the strength. 4 would be nearly there.

I don't understand the quibble with the as...as formation. Isn't that the most common usage?

As strong as an ox.
As light as a feather.
As thick as molasses.
Etc.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:17 pm

As strong as Katrina is correct. Thus nowhere near(ly) modifies strong, which is an adjective. Near is also an adj, thus the need for an advebial ly ending. "Nowhere near" is, I think, a colloquialism, but also a bit of a double negative.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:42 pm

Why do you think nowhere near is a double negative? There's only one that I can see: nowhere.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Grammar”