squelch

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
JohnYY
Junior Lexiterian

squelch

Postby JohnYY » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:41 pm

squelch

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: squelch

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:21 pm

From part of the Am Heritage Dict Online:
To crush by or as if by trampling; squash.
To put down or silence, as with a crushing retort: squelch a rumor.
To suppress or inhibit: a protein that squelches gene transcription.

I was surprised at 2/3 of this, because I have mostly heard squelch used in the sense of suppressing a rumor or behavior. Apparently it's onomotopeic, from the sound of squashing through mud, which I don't remember hearing (the word used that way - of course, i've heard the sloshing).
pl

JohnYY
Junior Lexiterian

Postby JohnYY » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:35 pm

I wanted to suggest this as a "Word of the Day" but was totally unable to figure out how! Dumb! (me, that is! :)) )

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:41 pm

I wanted to suggest this as a "Word of the Day" but was totally unable to figure out how! Dumb! (me, that is! :)) )
No worries, mate. You put it in the right place. All you really needed to do was say a few words about why you think it's a good Good Word. Don't get discouraged, and don't be afraid to ask for advice or help. We don't bite...much.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:01 pm

JohnYY: No, not dumb. I have belonged to this forum a long time and I still don't know how to do many things on it. Ordinarily you make come comment about the good word you are suggesting. You may even tell what you know about the word or what you are wondering about the word. I think this thread has pretty well explained itself and your desire to have squelch as a Good Word.
As Perry suggested you might want to know if the word comes from what it sounds like (onomatopoeia). Some of us carefully compose our posts. Others just dash them off. I am afraid I sometimes dash one off, but I usually try to give some thought to what I am writing and try to check my spelling.

We are all friends on this forum. We want to learn more English and have fun doing it.

Thank you for joining us. Welcome and write often.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

JohnYY
Junior Lexiterian

Postby JohnYY » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:03 pm

I should have mentioned one particular meaning for this word, which is noted in one of the dictionaries: the function in a radio receiver to mute the sound except when a signal (as opposed to noise/static) is being received.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:43 pm

It is a shame we cannot squelch the grotesque squelching sounds made by politicians as the squelch through the muck and mud they all throw out at election time.

Squelch the squelchers!
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:42 pm

I remember the radio useage from when I had a CB during that craze. Adjusting the squelch knob clarified the sounds.
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”