SENESCENT

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: SENESCENT

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Bamaboy: love your avatar. Reminds me of my Indian roots.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:35 pm

I respectfully ask (rather than being an intellectual pygmy waiting-in-the-tall-grass for a response to pounce on) if I can be a unique person; a one-of-a-kind; why wouldn't it be proper to say that in addition to the broad meaning I also may be a person who is sui generis within the narrow confines previously alluded to--or, leaving out "person who is", simply "a" sui generis.
I mutually respectfully ask that you look at the examples you yourself have presented. They do not lend themselves to being nouns. Can you actually be a "unique"? One-of-a-kind can be used this way, but only in context, and it's rarely used with "a". "Look at this flower, it's (a) one-of-a-kind."

I'm still voting against using "a" with sui generis.

Sorry for the lengthy delay in responding, I've been rather lazy of late.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:44 am

If my previous pledge is to have any credibility:
Good, bad or indifferent, I solemnly pledge that I shall forever refrain from mentioning the phrase again. And thereby probably become nearly unique (notice with twinkle in eye, please.)

I'll have to let pass that portion of (my mentor and role model) Slava's primary-reference comment, for two possibly well-founded reasons: A) Either no one caught the mutually-contradictory eye-twinkled response (for one cannot be "nearly unique" any more than achieve the status of being "nearly pregnant"--one either is or one is not--or B) my attempt at a rapier-like riposte was judged by the readers to have been attempted with a butter knife.

I do feel free to join in the compliment to bamaboy'a avatar; as a collector of Susan Morrison's wildlife pen-and-ink drawing for more than 40 years, I admire your choice; if the avatar is one of hers I take as a given that it was used with permission.

And good day to all!

Mac
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:47 pm

Personally, I have always preferred "gooey generis," from chocolate to nougat, from mounds bars to mints.

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:22 am

Thank you all for the compliments on my avatar. Thanks again to Slava for helping me get it to the point where it could be added to my profile. David McWethy said [quote]as a collector of Susan Morrison's wildlife pen-and-ink drawing for more than 40 years, I admire your choice; if the avatar is one of hers I take as a given that it was used with permission.
[quote] As far as I know I have never seen one of Susan Morrison's drawings (or if I have I didn't know it was hers). I'm sure they're beautiful as if it was one of hers I would unquestionably have gotten permission. Actually what I did was googled "Clip Art For A Wolf", which eventually led me to www.clkr.com which touts itself as a royalty free clip art site. It was from their clip arts that I chose my avatar. As I mentioned in another post, my avatar is a play on the Latin meaning of my last name. Bottom line, I like it and appreciate that it's being well received. Thanks.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:30 am

I'm truly not her publicist, but if you'd like to take a peek at Susan Morrison's works to see why I thought your avatar might have been one of her drawings, click on this link (which I've had to type in two lines to avoid it appearing truncated in Preview):

http://www.susanmorrisonstore.com/store/department
/2/Giclee%27-Prints/#

Mac

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:54 am

My Indian name involves a wolf, so I was interested in
your site, but it would not open, even with cut and paste.

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:31 am

Go figure.

In order to get the URL for the web site art that resulted from her Alaskan Expedition I Googled "Susan Morrison" (without the quotation marks), so surely that avenue will lead to the desired destination.

I'm attempting to attach a photo of her & yours truly; she's a truly gracious lady.

Mac
Attachments
Saturday, 1-26-08 001, edited .jpg
"Portrait Of The Artist With A Young Man"
Saturday, 1-26-08 001, edited .jpg (48.08 KiB) Viewed 12258 times

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Thank you slava.
Nice to see a picture of a poster. Helps with understanding
each other. I wish I knew how to post. Someone here
(gone now) tried to teach me, but something won't let me
post - something about finding things in a url.

Her pictures are magnificent. Wish I had more money.

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:30 am

Yes, truly beautiful pictures. Some people have such great talent. Thanks.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

Return to “Good Word Discussion”