Mental health

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
qweltany
Junior Lexiterian

Mental health

Postby qweltany » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:39 am

I need the name of a book that discusses why some people don't seek treatment for mental health issues, by a Ph.D. would be best. This is for a research project.The reasons why men come home from war and some don't have problems and others do .Opinions don't count unless you're a psychologist.
Last edited by qweltany on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Mental health

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 am

qweltany, welcome to the forum. Write often. I have an answer to your question but you probably will not like it.
Psychology is a pseudoscience so watch out for psychologists. Having had a stroke, I have seen a raft of them and I firmly believe what I am saying.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:54 am

As a counseling pastor, who has worked in mental hospitals and within my own experiences seen people transformed through counseling, I respectfully disagree with my friend Philip. Sorry he found no help, but I've found many psychiatrists lean too heavily on medication rather than eclectic talking therapy.

I don't know of a book specifically on that subject, but there are several that discuss which therapies best fit which diagnoses. Perhaps in their bibliographies you might find what you are looking for. Since this is also true of medical doctors, there may be someing in their literature. I also think their is a field called sociology of medicine that might include sources. Good luck.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:55 pm

By the way, we generally discuss language issues on a language site, not mental health. Personally, I would consider this spam, as it has nothing to do with what this site is about.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:38 pm

Good point, but you gotta admit we do ramble.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:44 pm

While we may ramble, we do not start off from there. We also, for the most part, keep it to language, linguistics, or even the discussion of certain books in the sense of the writing.

In the more than six years I've been a member of the Agora, I've seen many of these one-off posts show up. They never come to anything.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:49 pm

Yes, Slava, this thread seems to have been an exercise in futility. I shall not pass this way again.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”