ADUMBRATE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

ADUMBRATE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:20 pm

• adumbrate •

Pronunciation: æd-êm-brayt, ê-dêm-brayt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. To vaguely suggest, to give faint indication. 2. To disclose only faintly, to make vaguely visible.

Notes: The abstract noun from today's Good Word is adumbration. An adumbration is the shadow of a suggestion, the weakest form of indication. It comes with two adjectives, adumbrant "vague, indistinct", adumbrative "vaguely suggestive".

In Play: Remember, an adumbration is not a suggestion, but the faintest hint of a suggestion: "The first colored leaves of autumn adumbrate the onslaught of winter, just as the first robin song and crocus adumbrate the explosion of color and song in summer." We see adumbrations everywhere, every day of our lives: "The light peeping under the door adumbrated that someone was in the room."

Word History: Today's Good Word was inspired by adumbratus "overshadowed, outline", the past participle of adumbrare "to overshadow, represent in outline". This word engages two constituents, ad "to(ward)" + umbra "shadow", as in umbrage and umbrella. Where the word umbra came from, no one knows. It has been suggested that it is related to Sanskrit andha "darkness", but the sound changes present problems. The preposition-prefix, ad "to(ward)", can be found in many Proto-Indo-European languages. It shows up in English as at and Sanskrit as adhi "near", so it must have been a preposition in PIE meaning "to, near, at". (I thus far haven't even adumbrated who suggested today's Good Word: it was William Hupy, to whom we owe more than an adumbration of thanks.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Re: ADUMBRATE

Postby MTC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:28 pm

Wallis Simpson: adumbration of an abdication

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Adumbrella - looks like rain.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Adumbrella - looks like rain.
An addendum to the forecast: it now looks like sunshine, take a parasol.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:25 am

MTC: Wallis Simpson played a very, very minor role in an abdication. Hitler was actually the star. I don't understand your phrase, “adumbration of an abdication”. I assume it is a humorous repartee. I am probably a little too dense.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:08 am

MTC: Wallis Simpson played a very, very minor role in an abdication. Hitler was actually the star. I don't understand your phrase, “adumbration of an abdication”. I assume it is a humorous repartee. I am probably a little too dense.
I understood it as an abstract reference. "This is Mr. X's 'Wallis Simpson' moment." A watershed moment in one's history, with a woman involved. He chose her over everything else.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:23 am

Explanation:

In his radio address to the nation, Edward VII explained he was abdicating "to marry the woman I love," commoner and double divorcee Wallis Simpson. Her arrival on the scene adumbrated his abdication. Just a little loose fun with words...

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:29 am

Thanks for the explanations. Edward VIII (not VII) said he was abdicating "to marry the woman I love," but this is not true. He did marry her and then they were sent to the Bahamasw where he was the titular governor. He actually was under house arrest for working with Hitler.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:26 pm

Philip:

You say it is "not true" that Edward abdicated to marry Wallis Simpson.

Edward abdicated in December of 1936. He married Wallis Simpson in June of 1937. More than 3 years later in August of 1940 he was appointed Governor of the Bahamas (not Bahamasw) where he was sidelined during the War because of his Nazi sympathies. This is the historical sequence, if I understand it correctly. Do you contend he was forced to abdicate because of his Nazi sympathies? If so, what is the evidence?

MTC

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm sorry I wrote "Bahamasw" for "Bahamas". I spell checked, but old eyes sometimes miss things. Edward abdicated saying it was so he could marry Wallis Simpson. They were both Nazi sympathizers at that time. A close second in Edward’s amorous pursuit of Wallis was a German Nazi. Hitler definitely believed Edward was an asset to Germany and planned to make him King of England when Germany won the war. Churchill supported Edward at first but he changed his mind. Edward’s governorship of the Bahamas was actually a house arrest ordered by Churchill. Wikipedia does a pretty good job of documentation. Others support it. Just Google Edward VIII. Some of the Google references are a little sensationalistic and of unknown value. But there are reliable sources that support what has been “common knowledge” since WW II. There has never been a time past my early childhood when I didn’t believe what I am saying about Edward. Of course it was not to England's advantage to publicize Edward and Wallis. I am not a professional historian, and I know one cannot believe everything he/she reads. I am also an Anglophile, and want to believe the best about England. Even for the professional historian, history is an art, not a science. Later discoveries change our view of history at times. Many things will remain unknown. I believe the weight of evidence is against Edward VIII.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:12 pm

The claim Edward's Bahama assignment was in effect a type of "house arrest" is more plausible than the claim he was forced to abdicate because of Nazi sympathies. If the latter were correct, then he would have been sidelined in the Bahamas or elsewhere immediately after his abdication rather than three years later. Instead he was promptly assigned to an official position--not a sinecure--in France. Only after he became a security risk in France was he placed where he could do no harm in the Bahamas.

Either way, Edward's Nazi connections are a blot on the English escutcheon. But Edward had company across the Atlantic. A number of prominent Americans including Henry Ford and Lindbergh sympathized with the Nazis. Ford actually provided monetary support.

What has all this to do with the price of beans or the meaning of "adumbration" you may well ask? Perhaps nothing except the lesson that we should always be on the watch for even a hint or adumbration of fascism.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:29 pm

What has all this to do with the price of beans or the meaning of "adumbration" you may well ask? Perhaps nothing except the lesson that we should always be on the watch for even a hint or adumbration of fascism.
Thank you muchly, MTC, for bringing this thread back around to recognizing that this is a language board, not one for history discussion.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:10 am

You're quite welcome, Slava. God forbid we should sail toward the edges of our four-cornered linguisic world and fall off into a bottomless void.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:31 am

For words to be of any use, they must be about something. I usually enjoy these excursions, but sometimes they do get out of hand.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”