Bimbo

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Bimbo

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:37 pm

I was rambling through the slang dictionary on site and found "bimbo" among the 1900's words. I was surprised to find it used to refer to tough men or gangster types, so I pursued it through the various dictionaries. May come from Italian, but uncertain. It may have started out as guy or fellow and moved on to the rough guy thing. Not too many years later, bimbo has become female and is variously described as a mistress or a slut. More recently the word means a good looking woman who is an airhead, which is my immediate connotation. Its complexity and transgender would make an interesting Word of the Day.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Bimbo

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:17 pm

The etymology of bimbo is pretty straightforward. The Italians derived it from "baby". It moved from a masculine to a feminine appellation in a short time. The similar English word "babe" has always been applicable to a male or a female. As men we may not ever use "babe" to describe a man, but Cher of Sonny and Cher fame called Sonny Bono "babe" when she had him. It would be a fun Good Word.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:19 pm

I haven't noticed it recently, but there is a bread brand called Bimbo. They even went so far in their ads as to tell us, "Just say Beembo."

There was also for a time in Moscow a small chain of shops called Bimbo, in Latin letters. Children's clothes.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:40 pm

In Orono, Maine there is a joint called Pat's Pizza which has a bacon cheese burger called the "Bimbo Burger” it’s very good. It's a university town and when you've had your share of a pitcher of beer this tasted like a gift from the gods.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”