Slut

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
HelenBrits
Junior Lexiterian

Slut

Postby HelenBrits » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:37 am

Where did this word come from? I have heard that originally it meant a woman who did not keep her room clean-is this true and if so how did it come to have such a perjurive sense?

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Slut

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:59 pm

Online Etymological dictionary shows it Could have had that meaning...

slut
c.1400, "a dirty, slovenly, or untidy woman," probably cognate with dialectal Ger. Schlutt "slovenly woman," dialectal Swed. slata "idle woman, slut," and Du. slodder "slut," but the ultimate origin is doubtful. Chaucer uses sluttish (late 14c.) in reference to the appearance of an untidy man. Also "a kitchen maid, a drudge" (mid-15c.; hard pieces in a bread loaf from imperfect kneading were called slut's pennies, 18c.). Meaning "woman of loose character, bold hussy" is attested from mid-15c.; playful use of the word, without implication of loose morals, is attested from 1660s.
Our little girl Susan is a most admirable slut, and pleases us mightily. [Pepys, diary, Feb. 21, 1664]
Sometimes used 19c. as a euphemism for bitch to describe a female dog. There is a group of North Sea Germanic words in sl- that mean "sloppy," and also "slovenly woman," and that tend to evolve toward "woman of loose morals" (cf. slattern, also English dial. slummock "a dirty, untidy, or slovenly person," 1861; M.Du. slore "a sluttish woman").

I also checked out your word "perjurative" and could not find it like that. You may have meant "pejorative"?
pl

HelenBrits
Junior Lexiterian

Postby HelenBrits » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Thank you for that :) vey interesting! And yes I did mean pejorative lol

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:58 pm

HelenBrits: You have been with us a short time and have posted a few posts, all very interesting. Has anyone properly welcomed you? Welcome. Now someone has. Post frequently.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Welcome! :D I have thought of posting the S word, especially when I was tracing the word "slatternly" which is another reference to an unkempt women . :idea:

E
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”