Inveigle

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Inveigle

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:21 pm

• inveigle •

Pronunciation: in-vay-gêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: 1. Cajole or lure into doing something, to persuade using questionable tactics. 2. To obtain by cajoling or persuasion based on questionable tactics.

Notes: Today's word contains a superfluous "i" in its midst that is easy to overlook when spelling this word. This is the only caveat we have for inveigle. The person who inveigles is an inveigler up to inveiglement. There is not much else to say about this word.

In Play: From the Meaning above, we see that the sense of this word roves from inveigling people to inveigling things from people. Inveigling people goes something like this: "I don't know how I allowed May O'Naise to inveigle me into preparing a seven-course meal for her, but I'll never cook more than five courses for her again!" Inveigling things is slightly different: "I don't know how I let May O'Naise inveigle a seven-course meal from me but I'll never cook more than five courses for her again!" Either approach is fine.

Word History: Today's Good Word entered Middle English (1066-1485) as envegle "to win over by deceit, seduce", an alteration of Old French aveugler "to blind". The French verb is based on the adjective aveugle "blind, sightless", a descendant of Vulgar (Street) Latin *aboculus "blind" from Latin Latin ab "away from" + oculus "eye". It is probably a loan-translation of Gaulish exsops "blind" made up of exs "from" + ops "eye". Latin oculus turns up in several borrowed English words, such as ocular and the well-known two-eyed binoculars. In Old Norse the same root emerged as auga "eye". English borrowed the Old Norse vindauga "wind-eye" and honed it over the years to the window it is today.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Re: INVEIGLE

Postby MTC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:30 am

"Inveigle's" many synonyms (I counted over forty) point accusingly to the duplicity in human nature. Almost all are everyday words for types of trickery from the sweet , "wheedle," to the sour, "con." "Inveigle" differs from the pack because of its elevated status as a crime:

"California Penal Code § 266 - Inveiglement or Enticement

Every person who inveigles or entices any unmarried female, of previous chaste character, under the age of 18 years, into any house of ill fame, or of assignation, or elsewhere, for the purpose of prostitution, or to have illicit carnal connection with any man; and every person who aids or assists in such inveiglement or enticement; and every person who, by any false pretenses, false representation, or other fraudulent means, procures any female to have illicit carnal connection with any man, is punishable by imprisonment in the state prison, or by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by a fine not exceeding two thousand dollars ($2,000), or by both such fine and imprisonment.

CREDIT(S)

(Enacted 1872. Amended by Code Am.1873-74, c. 614, p. 429, § 24; Stats.1976, c. 1139, p. 5107, § 157, operative July 1, 1977; Stats.1983, c. 1092, § 256, eff. Sept. 27, 1983, operative Jan. 1, 1984.)"

Still "on the books," this statute was enacted in 1873 when the phrase "unmarried female, of previous chaste character" was something more than a quaint anachronism.

Interesting, isn't it, how during election season Dr. Goodword strung together two words, Machiavellian and inveigle, which trace a straight line to duplicity...

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Doc knows what he is doing, alright!
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:59 pm

Interesting, isn't it, how during election season Dr. Goodword strung together two words, Machiavellian and inveigle, which trace a straight line to duplicity...
Maybe he'll do pathetic and bathetic soon, too.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:53 am

11 years later and another election season is upon us. Not that it's ever not an election season these days, it seems.

Inveigle came up in a crossword puzzle today, so I checked to make sure it'd been treated. I double-checked others, too, and found that bathos is also a former patient here. For good measure, I'll toss in nadir, too.

Where's my hand-basket? :cry:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Inveigle

Postby David Myer » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:25 am

Why, there's another i before e exception to add to the sentence in the Good Word Suggestion discussion of Vein.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”