BLIMEY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: BLIMEY

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:40 pm

In this case, the First Amendment is in the settings where you can disable spell check, or reducing it to red underlines leaving you the choice.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:53 pm

Because of my delicate upbringing, I have a paucity of swear words. Now that we have switched to Spanish, I know a few. My high school Physics teacher’s favorite imprecation was “gatos y perritos”. Colorado (as an expression of exasperation), Chihuahua (as a taunt of shame), and cabrío (as an insult) are frequently used in Tex Mex.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 pm

Try Google translate:

http://translate.google.com/#
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:00 pm

Of course, "caramba" is an all purpose interjection.
pl

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:33 pm

Etymology aside, I have the distinct impression that "bloody" was among the worst swear words in Britain. How about it, Englanders? What say you?
It certainly used to be among the worst. The single occurrence of the phrase "Not bloody likely!" in George Bernard Shaw's play Pygmalion caused uproar when it was first performed in 1913. More recently, the British TV sitcom Till Death Us Do Part (1965-75) featured a loud-mouthed Cockney character, Alf Garnett, who used "bloody" continually. That also caused much more controversy than it would do today. As call_copse pointed out in this thread, it is a fairly mild swear word these days.

I remember hearing someone say "She has a voice like a bloody chainsaw". It struck me that the remark would be much less funny without the "bloody". Likewise in Michael Caine's celebrated line in the film The Italian Job: "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" The word acts like a well-timed drum beat on an important chord in a piece of music.

With regard to Philip Hudson's suggestion that "bloody" is derived from "by our Lady", I have my doubts about this, as "bloody" is never used on its own, as are "blimey", "crikey", "zounds" and the like. It is always used either as an adjective before a noun, or as an adverb before a verb/adjective/adverb.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:47 am

Audiendus: Thanks for your comment on my suggestion that "bloody" is derived from "by our Lady". It has given me cause to pause. I will look into it more.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:56 am

'cabrío' as an insult reminds me of Tanzania - 'mbuzi' is often used there to denigrate another's driving skills. Generally with good cause in the traffic there!
Iain

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:44 pm

Blimey! This has been a popular topic.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”