ENTRAIN

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Re: ENTRAIN

Postby MTC » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:46 am

Here is a usage example of my own creation:

"Gliding down the isle, a vision in silk and tulle, the princess
entrained a royal entourage of bridesmaids, knights, and pages, along with the hopes and good wishes of an entire nation."

I find "entrain" has a split personality with one foot in poetry (as above,) and the other in science. For instance, in addition to the meaning "draw along after one self," according to Merriam-Webster "entrain" carries the following scientific meanings:

2: to draw in and transport (as solid particles or gas) by the flow of a fluid
3: to incorporate (air bubbles) into concrete
4: to determine or modify the phase or period of <circadian rhythms entrained by a light cycle>

Not to mention "entrainment" which has specific meanings (some of them very interesting) in disciplines as diverse as neurology, biology, engineering, hydrodynamics, meteorology, geology and physics.
See (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrainment)

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:41 pm

(Here is a better version. I forgot to send it out to my editors. That won't happen again--I hope.)

• entrain •

Pronunciation: en-trayn Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: To pull or drag along after itself, to carry along, to entail.

Notes: This word is not to be confused with the verb entrain meaning "to board a train". That word is derived from train, the means of transportation. Today's Good Word was borrowed whole from French (see Word History). It is related to the word train in the sense of the trailing tail of a gown. The abstract noun for this word is entrainment and the personal one, entrainer.

In Play: The original meaning of today's Good Word meant "dragged behind or by", as in: "Entrained in the crowd, Milquetoste was slowly but surely drawn to the wrong subway car." But in its metaphorical sense, it wanders pretty far from that original meaning: "The stomach all too often entrains the heart among men." Doesn't that sound better than, "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach?"

Word History: Today's Good Word comes directly from the French verb, entrainer, from Old French en "in, on" + trainer "to drag". French inherited the word trainer from Vulgar (Street) Latin traginare, an extension of tragere "to pull". Tragere is a back-formation from tractus, the past participle of Latin trahere "drag, pull, haul" and the source of English words like tractor and attract. The ancient word which gave rise to tragere is apparent in many Indo-European languages: German tragen "to carry", Russian trag "track, trail", and English drag. (Today's Good Word was entrained from a suggestion by Norman Holler of Whitehorse, Yukon Territory.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:41 pm

A word with which I was unfamiliar.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”