Diffidence

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Diffidence

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:18 pm

• diffidence •

Pronunciation: dif-ê-dents • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: 1. Lack of self-confidence, self-doubt. 2. Modesty, shyness.

Notes: Today's Good Word is the noun from the adjective diffident. It is the antonym of confidence and is based on an old verb diffide "lack confidence or faith (in)" as confide once meant "to have confidence in". It looks and sounds quite a bit like difference and deference, so be careful to keep these three away from one another.

In Play: Although "lack of self-confidence" today carries a derogatory tinge, the meaning of this word is quite neutral and can even be used with a hint of the positive: "Arnold turned down the offer to become president of the company out of diffidence in his ability to please everyone." That sense extends to the point of suggesting simple shyness: "Ingrid's diffidence in public led her to spend most of her time in libraries, where she amassed an enormous knowledge of the world."

Word History: This word comes to us from Latin diffiden(t)s, the present participle of the verb diffidere "to mistrust", composed of dis- "not, un-" + fidere "to trust". The noun of the verb fidere is the fidelis "faithful, true" we hear in the Marine Corps motto, Semper fidelis "always faithful" and in the title of the Christmas carol, Adeste fideles "O, Come all ye Faithful". What better word to name your true and faithful dog than Fido, also based on fidere. The root of fidere goes back to Proto-Indo-European bheidh- "trust, confide", which descended to English as bide "wait", abide "tolerate", and abode "home", all about as semantically distant from its ancestor as phonologically.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Re: DIFFIDENCE

Postby MTC » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:28 am

DIFFIDENCE DEMO

Diffidens: Not meanin' to take much 'a yer time, your Lordship...that is... er...if you would but grant me a moment...and knowin' full well my 'umble station, Sir...if I could but venture to say your Lorship, and intendin' no disrespect...

Worthy: Good God man! Get on with it!

Diffidens: (faints)

Worthy: What does this fool want?

Courtiers: 'mLord we understand he seeks tuition for
a course in Self-Confidence.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:41 pm

I had the impression that diffidence was a more neutral word. I picture it as a respectful silence among a leader's entourage. Not from lack of confidence, but in respect to their leader. Anyone else have a similar take?
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:53 pm

I think I've seen it taken both ways.

Sometimes a diffident person is described as very "private".
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:14 pm

I seem to remember the "old folks" using the word abide to simply mean live or dwell. There is a beautiful hymn named "Abide With Me." I know they used abode for a dwelling place or a home. I have heard, but rarely, of abide in the sense, "I can't abide Mrs. Jones because she is so snooty." The Wicked Witch of "The Wizard of Oz" warned Dorothy that she was going to bide her time.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:40 pm

Can't abide is common around here. Lots of things we can't abide, like the temporary NFL refs and the professional refs when they came back. All refs should always call in favor of our teams! And I can't abide calling something chili that has spaghetti in it and is a thin soup. Etc, and etc!
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:23 am

Perry: Refs hold no importance for me, so I guess I can abide them. Chili con carne is another matter. Real chili con carne is made with pulled, not ground or cubed, beef; beef suet; masa; chili peppers and onions. In this pristine form it is called "a bowl of red". No beans, no tomatoes, and most certainly no spaghetti. Just as in good coffee, a spoon will stand vertically when thrust into a good bowl of red. Of course, this description does not meet every chili aficionado’s approval. But it does mine.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:12 pm

This post is totally unauthorized, and Dr. GoodWord will probably ask me to take it down immediately. When he does, I will comply.

If you click on alphaDictionary.com more than once a week, this message is for you.

If that describes you, then I’m guessing you subscribe to at least one periodical. Maybe it’s your local newspaper or NYT or WAPO or The Guardian or WSJ or the Financial Times. As to magazines, maybe it’s The New Yorker, the NYRB, or The Atlantic or The Economist. And you are shrewd enough to find the best deal offered for whatever you subscribe to, because you hate that damn paywall. You are not cheap, you look for value. Think of that price as a baseline.

AlphaDictionary provides stimulating content not available elsewhere. No other source provides etymologies as thorough, enlightening, entertaining or as broadly culturally aware as Dr. GoodWord does everyday. Those of us who participate (or consult) regularly in this website enjoy the content and the camaraderie. This is a forum for engaging in respectful, civil, intellectual discussion and friendship. I feel like I “know” as friends many of you on several continents and throughout the US. (And even in England, which, since 2020, belongs to no continent at all.)

Please reread definition 2 of “diffidence” above. Dr. GoodWord is too diffident to tell you how important financial support is to maintaining this site. You have to look hard in the webpage to find his bashful request that a little support will go a long way. For better or worse, I am not that shy. But I do share Dr. GoodWord’s passion for what this website achieves.

Please consider making a lump sum contribution or committing to a monthly contribution. A little goes a long way. And do it before I am asked to take down this unauthorized post by the higher authorities.

Wishing you a literate and stimulating new year.

Regards,
George Kovac
"Every battle of ideas is fought on the terrain of language." Zia Haider Rahman, New York Times 4/8/2016

Return to “Good Word Discussion”