inquiry- query- querulous

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

inquiry- query- querulous

Postby William Hupy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:33 pm

I have an inquiry about the Spanish infinitive for quere, which means, "to want". Does our "inquiry" share the Latin root? What is that root? My Latin dictionary reveals "quercus", which is oak and then querela, which means "complaint". Is the latter Latin root the same for inquiry, query and querulous?
William A. Hupy

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: inquiry- query- querulous

Postby Slava » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:42 pm

Here's the Doc's treatment of querulous, which doesn't mention oak. I'd say they are different roots.

Querulous comes from PIE *kwes-, whereas query comes from PIE *kwo-.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:12 pm

The Sp infinitive is querer, as virtually all end in r. It's a bit irregular and declines as quiero, quieres, quiere, but in the plural it reverts to queremos etc. The word means more than want, and can instead mean to like or even to love. I've noted that often a senorita will tell her caballero "te quiero" rather than "te amo." That may be regional. The Latin infinitive, I think, would be querere, but I haven't checked.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:42 pm

The Latin roots of enquire are "in" meaning, in this case, into, and "quaerere" meaning to ask or to seek. The Spanish word "querer" probably comes from the same Latin root, although I am just observing on this one. I can believe the Latin word "querela" comes from the same root. Shipley suggests a PIE root kuere meaning to ask or to seek. As Slava says, querulous has a different root altogether. Perry's observation that "te quiero" is often used rather than "te amo" to mean, "I love you", is good in TexMex. I don't know about the Latin for oak, but I do know the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree.

Consider quest, question, query, etc. But not equestrian. Note that the letter k could be substituted for q if we had a q-less alphabet.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

Postby William Hupy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:37 pm

The Sp infinitive is querer, as virtually all end in r. It's a bit irregular and declines as quiero, quieres, quiere, but in the plural it reverts to queremos etc. The word means more than want, and can instead mean to like or even to love. I've noted that often a senorita will tell her caballero "te quiero" rather than "te amo." That may be regional. The Latin infinitive, I think, would be querere, but I haven't checked.
Thanks, I missed that. The Spanish infinitive is in fact querer.
William A. Hupy

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”