EXPATIATE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

EXPATIATE

Postby Slava » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:04 pm

Sunday's AWOL Good Word:

• expatiate •

Pronunciation: ek-spay-shi-ayt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, intransitive (no direct object)

Meaning: 1. To move about freely without specific direction, to wander. 2. To speak or write at length with little or no focus.

Notes: Just as today's word has two meanings, it has two adjectives expressing those meanings. Expatiative goes with the first meaning: "tending to spread, expansive". Expatiatory is associated with the second sense above, as to be in an expatiatory mood. The noun, of course, is expatiation. The two words most often confused with this one are expiate "to make amends, atone" and expatriate "to move abroad".

In Play: Let us not forget the original meaning of this word, which is still valid: "Clementine left Waldemar because of what she called his 'expatiating hand'." We can do that without losing sight of the more common second meaning of today's word: "Oh, daddy, please don't expatiate on the virtues of clean living again!"

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from exspatiatus, the past participle of the Latin verb exspatiare "to wander, digress", based on ex- "from, out of" + spatium "space, course". This Latin word went on to become space in Old French, when English borrowed it, and espace in Modern French. Spatium itself came from a Proto-Indo-European stem, spei- "expand, extend, stretch" that came to the Germanic languages as German spät "late". Russian speshit' "hurry" is probably another relative. (It's time to hurry up and expatiate a bit on our gratitude to Lew Jury for suggesting today's Good Word. Unfortunately, our space is limited so, "Thanks, Lew".)

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: EXPATIATE

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:19 pm

I already read it. Maybe Sat night.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:59 pm

I already read it. Maybe Sat night.
On the front page, aye. Not on the Agora.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:08 pm

I was ruminating about needing a noun form meaning one who expatiates? The Good Doctor gave us the noun expatiation, a good word indeed, but that means an expatiatory action. Collins defines expatiator: one who enlarges upon a theme. We could say, one who habitually expatiates, ad nauseam. Ouah là! We have a word describing myself. And if the shoe fits...
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Perfect term for politicians, speaking with little focus.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”