Bespoke

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Bespoke

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:38 pm

I ran into "bespoke" in two separate contexts in the last couple of days. Reading Gone Girl, the guy talks about "bespoke suits," which is how you usually hear it. Today's NYT has an article about a new type of hostel that has bespoke designs. The word comes from the idea of someone speaking for the type of suit he wants, including material, cut, and measurements. I had rarely read the word, never heard it, then suddenly twice in two contexts. Dr G has a mission to save words from extinction. Could this be one of them?
pl

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Bespoke

Postby gailr » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:56 pm

You don't hear that much in the Midwest, where "custom" is the common term. I associate it with upper class characters in novels.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:17 pm

I could have sworn we had already done this one, but it turns out not to be the case. It must have been because I suggested it nearly 5 years ago.

The post contains a link to a BBC article: http://www.alphadictionary.com/bb/viewt ... f=2&t=3348

Maybe now we can get the Good Doctor to give this one his bespoke treatment?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:56 am

I could have sworn we had already done this one, but it turns out not to be the case. It must have been because I suggested it nearly 5 years ago.
It has in fact been covered in "Bespeak", which has been featured on several occasions, most recently here.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Good catch, Audiendus. It wasn't even all that long ago. I should be ashamed for not remembering. :oops:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:18 pm

You remember quite a bit on this board. Something is bound to slip here and there after a while, and better it be the location of a word suggestion than your car keys!
:D

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”