SATIETY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

SATIETY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:55 pm

• satiety •

Pronunciation: sê-tai-ê-tee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: A state of being glutted, very full or too full, oversatisfaction, surfeit.

Notes: This Good Word is the rather odd noun related to both sate "to glut" and its synonym satiate. The pronunciation of satiety is also a bit odd, so keep a sharp ear out for it.

In Play: The meaning of this noun and its verbs actually varies from total satisfaction to oversatisfaction: "I think I'll forego seconds; I don't want to eat beyond satiety before dessert." However, more than enough of anything qualifies for this Good Word: "I'm afraid my satiety level for incompetence is pretty low."

Word History: The source of today's Good Word is satiété, the French version of Latin satietas "sufficient" from satis "sufficient". We find this word in satisfaction, the original meaning of which was "make sufficient". We also find this word in the Vulgar (Street) Latin phrase ad satis "to sufficiency", which was reanalyzed as the single word asetz in the French spoken in England under Norman rule (1066-1164). This word went on to become asset; in French the same word turned out to be assez "enough". (We will never reach satiety of Good Word suggestions like this one from Nell Bludworth—a real asset for our series.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: SATIETY

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:49 am

Anyone else hear the T pronounced SH? Thus say shi e ty? Or sayshiate?
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:00 am

Not for this word. "Say-she-ate" is correct in one form.
"Say-TIE-e-tea" is correct for this one.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:57 am

Perry, you may have satiate in mind which is both a verb and an adjective pronounced with a slight difference:

Merriam-Webster gives the definitions with audio pronunciations at http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/satiate

We seldom hear the adjective form satiate which reminds me of another rarely-used adjective inebriate, as in "Inebriate of air am I/And debauchee of dew," lines by Emily Dickinson.

Satisfied, now?

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Not for this word. "Say-she-ate" is correct in one form.
"Say-TIE-e-tea" is correct for this one.

This is the way I hear it and use it in my neck of the woods.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”