Good word suggestion

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
narh
Junior Lexiterian

Good word suggestion

Postby narh » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:27 am

Cookie
Glory be to God for dappled things-

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Good word suggestion

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:32 am

Welcome Nahr. Post often.

I like cookies, sometimes as much as the cookie monster. We just got our large order of Girl Scout cookies so I am set for a while.

I would like to see the Good Doctor's take on cookie. I know a little about the word. It British English, cookies are usually called biscuits. Sometimes they are called tea cakes by the British and Americans. As a child, they were always called tea cakes in my famly. Blondie and Dagwood named their daughter Cookie. Some cookies are smart. Some cookies are tough.

Cookie in one sense can be quickly dealt with. Sometimes a person who is a cook is familiarly called Cookie. Cookie in this sense comes directly from the English noun cook.

The name of the food we call cookies obviously comes from the word cook, and could be simply defined as that which has been cooked. The question is, how did it get to its present meaning. I believe it had to make a detour into another language to come out with the present meaning. If the Good Doctor chooses cookie as a Good Word, he can surely expand on this better than I can.

Computer cookies mystify me. I think they may still exist, but one doesn't hear much about them lately.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Good word suggestion

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:14 pm

Oh computer cookies are still around and getting more accurate all the time. They are tiny software programs that enable websites to recognize you when you return. The downside is that they capture stuff you may want to keep private. The upside is they can show you things you might be interested in based on your past searches.
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”