PARADIGM

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
askiles
Junior Lexiterian

PARADIGM

Postby askiles » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:34 pm

paradigm

Hard to define?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: paradigm

Postby Slava » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:57 pm

I wouldn't say so. Why do you?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Hard to like. The dreaded paradigm shift. I can define it.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:14 pm

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/di ... y/paradigm
Worth reading both the definitions and the note. I always tended to use the short i, rather than the preferred long i. With the speed of scientific advancement, the paradigm shift is becoming business as usual. All of a sudden with the discovery of dark matter and dark energy, we enter a major, major shift. Anywhere from 70-90% of the cosmos, or at least the universe, has yet to be discovered.

The current clamor from many American Catholics for allowing contraception, women and married priests would require an earthquake of a paradigm shift. Such a ruling would require the Pope to state or imply that supposedly infallible truths are no longer so. On the other hand, quitting smoking for many is also earthshaking. Of course, so is getting married or having your first baby.

It's important to recognize the hidden paradigms underlying our assumptions. Note that in Exodus, the Lord commands Moses to build the tabernacle in great detail. Later the book describes the building of the tabernacle almost verbatim. Nowhere does Exodus describe what it looked like as the Greeks would. Hebrew is built from verbs and is action-oriented, not visual.

I frequently ponder our assumptions, almost like the air we breathe, but accept without inquiry.
pl

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:11 pm

"I frequently ponder our assumptions, almost like the air we breathe, but accept without inquiry."

Well put, Perry. For example, assumptions like the Universe is an orderly place; natural events have causes; time and space are separate entities; the same laws govern the macrocosm and the microcosm; people everywhere naturally yearn to be free. Revolutions (aka "paradigm shifts") occur when--as they often do--our assumptions turn out to be false.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Even the term "false" assumes a bivalent paradigm. If the occasion is fitting, when people tell me they see things as either black or white, I remind them there is a technicolor world out there. Jeremy Bentham created a calculus of values. And when Cartesian geometry was "overturned," it did and still remained valid in many, if not most, earthbound situations.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 pm

As a red neck, my first take on paradigm was that it meant two shovels. After all, paradox means two doctors.

Being an educated red neck, when I was hit with it at work I discovered it meant, "Forget whatever you think you know. It’s a whole nother world out there. We have had a paradigm shift. You thought you were an engineer but now you are an entrepreneur. You have to think outside the box, be innovative, and invoke synergism. AND we are going to put a lot more on your plate…” Somehow I just came to hate the word and wish I were a linguist or even a school band director. Non-engineers don’t have those kinds of problems, do they?

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:57 pm

Noam Chomsky, the greatest linguist of the 20th century, was the person who moved Kuhn to write his book Paradigm Shift, which started the whole conversation. Chomsky shifted all the linguistic paradigms.

But this is not the forum for introducing new words. This thread really should be in "Good Word Suggestions". Does anyone mind if I move it there? Was it meant as a suggestion? I will be happy to show you what I can do with the word next month.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: PARADIGM

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:07 pm

Dr G. Move it by all means. I do want you to know that, while not a real linguist, I have a slight familiarity with Chomsky's work and Kuhn's Paradigm Shift.

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:52 pm

I refuse to admit at what age I was, when I learned that--contrary to what my friends had told me--"paradigms" were not simply a way to accumulate twenty cents using two coins.
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:49 pm

David: At least you knew how to pronounce paradigm. In early days I was unaware the g was not voiced.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”