TYCOON

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: TYCOON

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Advert is a shortening of advertisement. It's become fairly common in the stuff I read.
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:26 pm

Tycoon is one thing I'd call Mr Trump. On the principal that if you have nothing good to say about someone say nothing, I'll refrain from mentioning other epitaphs suitable for deployment in this instance. He is certainly no advert for plutocracy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/de ... isky-award
Most interesting read.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:11 am

@Philip
Perhaps you did not read the link I posted? Donald Trump projects few admirable qualities and is roundly disliked by many.

We could go on and on, but here is another link which might elucidate upon the negative aspects of his and perhaps, I'll grant you, the plutocratic nature:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/no ... rade-obama

I'm not sure if you are saying he is a worthy example of plutocracy because of its negative aspect (which I might assume as you are clearly of religious belief) or that he is all hunky dory. I'm going to confess that I would hold anyone who had any truck whatsoever with the birther movement (as he is reputed to) to be of the very meanest levels of intelligence.
Iain

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:36 am

Ian: I read your post. I suppose I am just a little dense. I think we are singing off the same page. I believe Trump to be a plutocrat and I do not hold plutocrats in high regard.

I hadn't heard the term "birther movement" until now and I Googled its meaning. To question President Obama's U. S. citizenship and his right to be President is absurd. His political stance is a matter of honest debate, but I will not debate it.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:48 am

@Philip
That's somewhat reassuring! I assure you I do not regard you as dense (though I might have remained silent if you revealed birther tendencies!) :D

Of course the President's political stance is up for honest and probing debate, probably not on this forum really, but the birther movement is simply wrong, and counter productive to your nation's well-being. I never quite understood whether Trump's involvement with such was simple but genuine wrong-headedness, or cynical manipulation. Either way you may have divined my thoughts about him by now :)
Iain

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:16 pm

I, too, had to look up the term "birther movement". Interesting. I knew the doubt surrounding BO's citizenship but never knew it had actually sparked a "movement". Educational post.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:17 pm

Birther. See "miscegenation" unfortunately. Probably the root of the problem, although in my area any form of liberalism is blasphemy. After all, don't liberals want to take away all our guns to leave us defenseless while they take over the country and impose a communist state? Just as the other side is sure that the "one per cent" do rule the country, monopolizing all the money and crushing the other ninety per cent under their feet. Waaay more heat than light.
pl

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm surprised that some of the Southern members had escaped hearing from or about the 'birthers' until this thread. I heard about them ad nauseum starting with the 2008 primaries. To curb some hysterical claims from that quarter I had to point out that John McCain was actually born outside the US proper -- in the Panama Canal Zone, where his father was stationed. That said, I certainly wouldn't consider it an impediment, and clearly the powers that be do not either, or he wouldn't be able to run. Some of these people told me with straight (albeit angry) faces that Hawaii is not part of the US.

There is something in the human wiring that loves a good conspiracy theory, perhaps partly because of the accuracy of Lord Acton's famous observation: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." It's easier to believe that an [evil] them is actively plotting against the [good] us than to accept that all people are complex, and sometimes bad things happen. And sometimes just not getting one's way in every single interaction is interpreted as a very bad thing indeed.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:36 pm

Well, as long as we're talking tycoonery, I suppose this idea has a place here:

Behind every great fortune is a crime.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:50 pm

And no good deed goes unpunished.

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Religion AND politics! Slava has ye olde gatekeeping hands full. Changing gears, it's hard to believe there are those who may believe that Hawaii is not part of the U.S. Makes you wonder under what rock some people reside. Just saying.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Just think. We could have ignored Pearl Harbor!
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:56 pm

But they went on to some Alaskan island.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Not that it has anything to do with words and language per se, but some folks might want to check their dates. Alaska and Hawaii weren't part of the US in WWII. They didn't become states until 1959.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:55 pm

What I was saying was that both were territories of the
US, and would have received the same attention.
The same would occur if Kim Jung-un attacked Guam today.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”