Cacciatore

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Cacciatore

Postby Slava » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:51 pm

I don't get it with this one. Etymologically it harks back to hunters and hunting. Yet it now means made with tomatoes, mushrooms, and various herbs and seasonings. I get the idea that this is how meat is prepared, but how many hunters gun down their mushrooms and herbs?

Plus, why is the most common reference I've come across chicken cacciatore? I did not realize chicken was a hunted food.

Then again, do tomatoes grow in the wild?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Cacciatore

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Probably free range chicken killed with an unchoked shotgun that digs out the aforesaid accessories with the part of the spray that misses the chick.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:12 am

Does one hunt free range chickens with a shotgun? As a child I was taught to chase them until I caught them. Tomatoes do grow in the wild in Texas, and probably in other places in the South. Although I plant my tomatoes, they may be found on the banks of brooks. On the same brook one can find chili pequin that are good for seasoning the Cacciatore. Although both these native American plants are designated as cultivars, they grow in the wild either naturally or as feral varities.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Seriously, Philip, were you taking me seriously? In any case, the Texas lore is appreciated, though we speak of an Italian dish.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:17 pm

A fairly large regional grocery store chain publishes a quarterly magazine to push its products. It includes recipes. The latest issue's first recipe is for Chicken Cacciatore. What's the second? Hunter-style chicken.

Different recipes, but it does make me wonder if they even know what cacciatore means. :D
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:35 pm

I don't wonder about things like Chicken Cacciatore or Hunter-style chicken. It is humorous that they appeared together. My wife is always making a cacciatore, a Stroganoff, or some other outlandish dish.

Perry: I missed reading your comment above. I can usually spot humor and did here. Sometimes I choose to ignore humor for a greater cause. Extolling Texas and Texana is one of the great causes I support.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”