Illecebrous

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Illecebrous

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Browsing Twitter, I found this word at a recommended site with synonyms fo "awesome," the all-purpose adjective conscripted by teens, expanded by young adults, and now permeating the language. Illelecebrous is obsolete, but could certainly make one appear erudite. When called on it, one might toss one's head, sniff, and say "You don't know what illecebrous means?"
Then walk off.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Illecebrous

Postby Slava » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:14 pm

I wonder how it got to be connected to awesome. It means alluring, attractive, enticing.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:23 pm

So does awesome in the hands of an earlier generation. For some, EVERYTHING is awesome. The word has now been drained of content and has NO meaning left.
pl

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:59 pm

Eddie Izzard had a bit on awesome as well:
And the universe is unbelievable. I mean our galaxy, the Milky Way, a hundred billion stars - a hundred billion stars! We wouldn't count up to a hundred billion. We could count up to a hundred billion, but we would not. They have clusters of galaxies, and then there's big, big bits of nothing, so it's awesome, yeah?. The universe is awesome using the original version, the meaning of the word awesome, yeah? Not the new one which is sort of for socks and hot dogs: "Hey! Red and yellow - awesome! You got red and yellow socks, they're awesome!" You know. But if they were you'd be... [gasps]... I saw an advert for 'awesome hot dogs, only $2.99'. If they were awesome you'd be going, [gasping for breath] "I can not… breathe for the way the sausage is held by the bun. It is… it is speaking to me." ... It's awesome!

America needs the old version of awesome, because you're the only ones going into space. You've got a bit of cash and you go up there, and you need 'awesome' because you're going to be going to the next sun to us. And your President's going to be going [American voice] "Can you tell me, astronaut, can you tell me what it's like?" "It's awesome, sir." "What, like a hot dog?" "Like a hundred billion hot dogs, sir."

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:53 pm

Hilarus (sic), Gail! My abs were shaking under the blubber.
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”