APERITIF

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

APERITIF

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:06 pm

• aperitif •

Pronunciation: ah-per-ê-teef, ah-per-ê-teef Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A drink taken before a meal to stimulate the appetite.

Notes: Today's Good Word comes with a fraternal twin, digestif "digestive, an after dinner drink that helps digestion". I decided that since English already uses digestive in the same sense, today's contributor wouldn't mind my switching that word, which he actually suggested, for today's. Most mixed drinks pass for aperitifs in the US, but the likes of Campari, Dubonnet, Lillet, and Vermouth are preferred where the word originates: France.

In Play: Digestifs (digestives) are usually drunk after dinner. The most popular of these are port, sherry, brandy, cognac, Armagnac, or single-malt scotch. Remember to husband the aperitifs before your dinners: "We were served so many strong aperitifs before dinner that not only did they fail to stimulate appetites, they put most of the dinner guests to sleep."

Word History: Today's Good Word came from Old French aperitif "purgative" from Late Latin apertivus. This word was an adjective sometimes used as a noun based on Latin apertus "opened", the past participle of aperire "to open". The Latin verb for "to open, uncover" was a compound in Proto-Indo-European made up of ap(o) "away, un-" + wer- "cover". The head of this compound, wer- emerged in English almost unchanged as weir "dam, fish trap". It also arrived in English as warrant, a word borrowed by French. Now, French didn't have a W at the time, so they used the next best thing in French—GU, pronounced [gw] at the time. The result, guarant, was next borrowed back by English as guaranty and guarantee when French GU was pronounced [g]. (I must beg Iain Smallwood's mercy for changing the word he suggested, digestif, for reasons laid out above, even as I thank him heartily for setting me in the right direction.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Re: APERITIF

Postby MTC » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:28 am

Aperitifs and digestifs--gastronomic bookends.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:54 pm

Rare is the meal where I indulge in either these days, let alone both, nice on occasion though.

Good treatment though and I certainly don't mind the switch, especially as my name is writ right now.
Iain

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:43 pm

I don't imbibe in either of them either.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:05 pm

says "aperitif" was "purgative"-- does that mean they emptied out before filling up?
Everything works out, one way or another

Return to “Good Word Discussion”