Koran, Quran, Qu'ran

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

Koran, Quran, Qu'ran

Postby William Hupy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:00 am

I do not understand how it is that a Persian word, meaning "recitation" is used to designate the holy book of an Arab prophet.
William A. Hupy

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Koran, Quran, Qu'ran

Postby gailr » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:53 pm

It's a word with more than one nuance, including proclaim and read; this is part of the opening command of Muhammad's revelation. Muslims believe the book was revealed over the course of 23 years; he recited his revelations to others to be transcribed. The book is to be continually read or recited throughout life by the faithful, not so different from lifelong Bible study for Christians.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:31 pm

In addition, we live in societies where virtually everyone reads. Over most of the lifetime of the Koran, most Mohammedans could not read, and many still cannot. Thus they memorize by rote, some apparently able to recite all of it. Consider too there was no printing press in the seventh century.

The Bible faced the same situation. Many scholars claim that an oral tradition came first, sung or told as ballad-type poems/sagas. Picture the letters of Paul being read aloud to a dozen or more, meeting in a house.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:17 pm

While the two first responses cover the recitation part well, I need to ask a question of William Hupy.

Why do you say this is a Persian word? Koran:
1615, from Arabic qur'an
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:18 pm

The source of Koran is definitely Semitic, hence Arabic. Persian (Farsi) is a PIE language. There are some Arabic words that have come from Farsi and vice versa. Arabs and Persians still maintain their separate cultures and languages. Of course the word Koran (or an alternate spelling) is a modern Farsi word as it is an English word.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

Postby William Hupy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:31 am

While the two first responses cover the recitation part well, I need to ask a question of William Hupy.

Why do you say this is a Persian word? Koran:
1615, from Arabic qur'an
Oops, because I read a passage wrong. It appears to be Arabic in origin.
William A. Hupy

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”