Invented Languages

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Invented Languages

Postby Slava » Wed May 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Here is a nice little piece from The Economist, a beginner's "how to," so to speak.

Regarding Klingon, by brother saw a performance of A Christmas Carol in it a few years back.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Invented Languages

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed May 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Has anyone compared invented languages spoken by twins to each other?
pl

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed May 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Regarding Klingon, by brother saw a performance of A Christmas Carol in it a few years back.
I bet that was interesting! Reminds me of Star Trek's Chancellor Gorkon: "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon.'

Popular sci-fi programs and books have introduced "alien" words into the vocabulary of their fanbase; a couple especially jazzy-sounding words from one of Tanith Lee's old books still come to mind on occasions where an English seems lackluster by comparison. "Alien" swear words are especially popular, perhaps because they easily clear all the swear-word filters! I've been watching Defiance and mentally wagering on how long before I encounter the most recurrent cussing appear out of context. :wink:

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed May 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Grok, from Stranger in a Strange Land.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed May 01, 2013 10:25 pm

Grok, from Stranger in a Strange Land.
Great word, great novel, yet it is not quite an entire language, is it?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed May 01, 2013 11:59 pm

Perry: Re your question: "Has anyone compared invented languages spoken by twins to each other?"

Compared it with what?

I have brothers who are twins and they never had an invented language. I had three cousins who were sisters but not triplets. Their father moved them from place to place constantly. As a result they were very shy and clung to each other emotionally. They had a full scale invented language they used into their teens.

I respect Tolkien and his invented languages. He was a linguist and well able to do it. I see no need for invented languages to facilitate communication or to reverse the Tower of Babel. English holds fair to be the needed universal language.

Glossolalia is a language of sorts. I don't speak in tongues, but I am well acquainted with the phenomenon. If one listens to it from different individuals, it can be seen to have many common syllables in it. I think that if one allows her/his tongue free reign without any thought applied, certain easy syllables are likely to be spoken. Glossolalia is not peculiar to a branch of Christianity. It has been known to occur in other settings.

"Science Fiction", which seems to be a phrase that negates itself in the same sense as does "military intelligence", holds absolutely no interest for me so I don't know Grok from Klingon. I thought Klingon was the name of a kitchen plastic wrap that clings to the dish it covers.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu May 02, 2013 12:58 am

My original query about twins was to compare grammar, syntax, and word choice with a view to finding whether the brain has any hardwiring to speak one way or another.

I know most people learn language by hearing it. We all did as children. But now, if I play Arabic or Japanese language lessons, i have trouble because I need to look and see what that sound is. Perhaps if someone were there to correct me...
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu May 02, 2013 5:51 pm

Linguists tend to think we are wired for speaking and hearing words from birth in any possible language. It seem that the part of wiring that might be needed in another language than our native language gets suppressed, perhaps the brain cells die, so that as we age it is harder to learn a new language. There have been some interesting experiments with babies on this line of thought.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Res Diversae”