Stochastic

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
DavidLJ
Junior Lexiterian

Stochastic

Postby DavidLJ » Thu May 30, 2013 2:07 pm

I was a bit surprised, and am not convinced, by the definitions offered for "stochastic." Here's the entry:
1. Random. 2. Following a random distribution pattern, such that its probability may be analyzed statistically, but not predicted precisely. 3. (Rare) Pertaining to conjecture, speculation.

What I think is missing from all three of these is the element of a stochastic process having a present moment and a built-in mechanism of some kind -- although the concession in definition 2 that such a process "may be analysed statistically" does get a good deal of the way there. (I see that I've used the ambiguous word "moment" above, and my subconscious must be at work here: I think that stochastic has an element of moment, i.e. of inertia or past history, as opposed to total randomness, to it.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Stochastic

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu May 30, 2013 7:20 pm

See my note on another post re the electron, whose location or velocity can be statistically guessed at, but not nailed down.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu May 30, 2013 9:32 pm

Here is the link to the Word of the Day that caused this thread.

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:39 pm

This term has leapt the boundaries of its origins in theoretical mathematics and found application in finance and, now, political science. Has its original meaning been intellectually distorted or has it been expanded in an enriching manner? That is of interest to readers of this website as etymology, metaphor and extension are the essence of our examination of words. Perhaps now is a good time to refresh our discussions back in 2013 when “stochastic” made its appearance as the good word of the day.

(TRIGGER WARNING TO SENSITIVE TYPES: My discussion is apolitical, and I will not respond to any post that argues from a political rather than a linguistic POV.)

A phrase that has gained currency recently is “stochastic terrorism.” Is that a fair use of the adjective? Among the nuances underpinning this phrase is the notion that small random acts of terrorism (for example, a series of small incendiary devices or a patter of incendiary speeches) can have dramatic far reaching effects, well beyond what the perpetrator could achieve directly on their own. Plus another strategic advantage is that the original perpetrator can deny personal responsibility for the acts of remote actors who subsequently commit the larger, more destructive events.

The historical definition of “stochastic” does not clearly lead me to this usage, but that does not disqualify the phrase. I tend to think it is a useful addition, adding clarity and efficiency to ordinary conversation. Hey, the word “heresy” originally meant (in a positive not pejorative sense) “choice,” so there is a lot of elasticity in words over time.

Here is a good definition of “stochastic terrorism”
“There is this thing called a stochastic terrorism which is the idea of leaders putting out falsehoods, demonizing people, and acts of violence happen and can’t be directly tied, but there is a responsibility there.”

So, dear readers, what say you?
Last edited by George Kovac on Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:44 pm

This term has leapt the boundaries of its origins in theoretical mathematics and found application in finance and, now, political science. Has its original meaning been intellectually distorted or has it been expanded in an enriching manner? That is of interest to readers of this website as etymology, metaphor and extension are the essence of our examination of words. Perhaps now is a good time to refresh our discussions back in 2013 when “stochastic” made its appearance as the good word of the day.

(TRIGGER WARNING TO SENSITIVE TYPES: My discussion is apolitical, and I will not respond to any post that argues from a political rather than a linguistic POV.)

A phrase that has gained currency recently is “stochastic terrorism.” Is that a fair use of the adjective? Among the nuances underpinning this phrase is the notion that small random acts of terrorism (for example, a series of small incendiary devices or a patter of incendiary speeches) can have dramatic far reaching effects, well beyond what the perpetrator could achieve directly on their own. Plus another strategic advantage is that the original perpetrator can deny personal responsibility for the acts of remote actors who subsequently commit the larger, more destructive events.

The historical definition of “stochastic” does not clearly lead me to this usage, but that does not disqualify the phrase. I tend to think it is a useful addition, adding clarity and efficiency to ordinary conversation. Hey, the word “heresy” originally meant (in a positive not pejorative sense) “choice,” so there is a lot of elasticity in words over time.

Here is a good definition of “stochastic terrorism”
“There is this thing called a stochastic terrorism which is the idea of leaders putting out falsehoods, demonizing people, and acts of violence happen and can’t be directly tied, but there is a responsibility there.”

So, dear readers, what say you?
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:49 pm

I would agree with the definition. Random acts set in motion by the wing flap of a butterfly can just as easily be those caused by the suggestion of a maleficent falsiloquent fedifragous person.

I would prefer to practice stochastic acts of kindness, in hopes that they will multiply.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:55 pm

Musings lead me down strange paths.
Is there any connection/entymology between/among stochastic and staccato? or static?
All seem to have the idea of discreet points, and while there may be a pattern, it is not always a regular one.
How does static mean both static sound, hissing and flashing, and static/unmoving?
Somehow "static staccato" and "staccato static" seem entirely different to me.
Any help? Any comments? (including, "oh, dear me... So far off the mark")
Thanks in advance, y'all.
Everything works out, one way or another

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:02 pm

Slava, thank you for the triple adjectives, two of which were unknown to me, and all of them slide so smoothly off the tongue.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:09 pm

Glad you liked my triple-threat there. I especially like the F-words.

Static interference is caused by static electricity, the kind that lies in wait doing nothing until you make zappy contact with it.

Your user name has given me an idea for a name to use here. Trey Domage, a kind of sad-sack type.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:15 pm

I had come to the same conclusion about my name, but thought the better of it. While I believe in truth in advertising, I saw no reason to risk putting people off interacting with me before I even had a chance to offend (however unintentionally)

I understand how static is created, but in usage, hasn't the meaning shifted a bit?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:38 pm

I understand how static is created, but in usage, hasn't the meaning shifted a bit?

How so? In the sense of giving someone a hard time about something? If so, I gather it's by extension from the idea of interference. Or do you have another usage in mind?

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:26 pm

It seems to me there are two meanings: stasis, something still, fixed, or, something recurring unpredictably, irregularly, like static on the radio.
I think the latter is where "give someone static" came from, no?
Have I been misusing these all this time?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:00 am

The way I understand it, the irregular noise on the radio or telephone connection is caused by static electricity, so it is called static simply by extension. It's the electricity that is static, not moving, that causes the noise interference.

If I'm correct, this means there is only one real meaning for static, with that meaning being confused by its use in the phrase static electricity.

The stochastic noise we hear is brought about by the flow of electricity going into stasis for a blip.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:40 pm

Then do we agree that the nature of what we call "static" on the radio is stochastic?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:15 pm

Then do we agree that the nature of what we call "static" on the radio is stochastic?

If by nature you mean the probability of its happening, and/or the frequency, strength, duration, etc., aye.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”