cosmogonal

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
sardith
Lexiterian

cosmogonal

Postby sardith » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:50 am

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I do not believe we have had this word before, and what a great word, is, 'cosmogonal', from 'cosmogony', meaning:

1. a theory about the origin and the evolution of the universe.
2. the branch of astrophysics that studies the origin and evolution of specific astronomical systems and the universe as a whole.
(Source: The Free Dictionary)

'Cosmogonal' is listed in the Dictionary.com Thesaurus as:

limitless; universal

I'd love to see Dr. Goodword's treatment of this vast word!
Sardith
:mrgreen:
p.s. I'm adding The Free Dictionary's chart of world origin theory titles, just because I thought it so interesting.

Noun
1. cosmogony - the branch of astrophysics that studies the origin and evolution and structure of the universe
cosmogeny, cosmology
big bang theory, big-bang theory - (cosmology) the theory that the universe originated sometime between 10 billion and 20 billion years ago from the cataclysmic explosion of a small volume of matter at extremely high density and temperature
nebular hypothesis - (cosmology) the theory that the solar system evolved from a hot gaseous nebula
planetesimal hypothesis - (cosmology) the theory that the solar system was formed by the gravitational accumulation of planetesimals
continuous creation theory, steady state theory - (cosmology) the theory that the universe maintains a constant average density with matter created to fill the void left by galaxies that are receding from each other; "the steady state theory has been abandoned in favor of the big bang theory"
astrophysics - the branch of astronomy concerned with the physical and chemical properties of celestial bodies
big bang - (cosmology) the cosmic explosion that is hypothesized to have marked the origin of the universe
inflation - (cosmology) a brief exponential expansion of the universe (faster than the speed of light) postulated to have occurred shortly after the big bang
closed universe - (cosmology) a universe that is spatially closed and in which there is sufficient matter to halt the expansion that began with the big bang; the visible matter is only 10 percent of the matter required for closure but there may be large amounts of dark matter
cosmic string, string - (cosmology) a hypothetical one-dimensional subatomic particle having a concentration of energy and the dynamic properties of a flexible loop
CBR, CMB, CMBR, cosmic background radiation, cosmic microwave background, cosmic microwave background radiation - (cosmology) the cooled remnant of the hot big bang that fills the entire universe and can be observed today with an average temperature of about 2.725 kelvin
Hubble constant, Hubble parameter, Hubble's constant, Hubble's parameter - (cosmology) the ratio of the speed of recession of a galaxy (due to the expansion of the universe) to its distance from the observer; the Hubble constant is not actually a constant, but is regarded as measuring the expansion rate today
ylem - (cosmology) the original matter that (according to the big bang theory) existed before the formation of the chemical elements
dark matter - (cosmology) a hypothetical form of matter that is believed to make up 90 percent of the universe; it is invisible (does not absorb or emit light) and does not collide with atomic particles but exerts gravitational force
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: cosmogonal

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:22 pm

Indeed a totally fascinating field. Saw an article this week that some are seriously considering multiple universes again, though how we would locate them is a good question. Cosmology and metaphysics seem to intersect.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: cosmogonal

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:51 pm

Thanks for cosmogonal, Sardith. The list of related words is great. Perry, multiple universes probably exist (whatever probably means). If there are truly multiple universes I see no way of scientifically confirming them. Once confirmed, they are in our universe. Metaphysically and spiritually, I believe in another universe called Eternity. I intend to go there some day; whatever day means there. This belief is not subject to proof.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”