Scrooch

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Scrooch

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Muffins - I lucked out. In all the years I spent in England I was never served a muffin. I thought the muffins we call English Muffins were only made in the USA. More the pity, since England has so many wonderful quick hot breads. I always wanted to know the muffin man who lives in Drury Lane. Now that childhood hope has been shattered. I share Luke's delight in good, sweet, fruit and nut filled muffins.

Worcestershire sauce - Americans swill tons of it every year but I can think of no suitable use for it. We have the same bottles of Worcestershire sauce and McIlhenny's Tabasco sauce we were given as a gift when we married 54 years ago. They have never been opened. Why do we have them? Because they are both dressed in cute little knitted "costumes".

Cheddar cheese - There is a lot of cheap cheese in England and the US called cheddar. Americans even have a very green “processed cheddar" that is called American Cheese. The bottom of the cheese list state side is called Velveeta. I hope Cheese Whiz has had the decency to die. On the positive side, England and the US have great offerings of all kinds of cheeses, including good Cheddar. 'West Country Farmhouse Cheddar' sounds wonderful. Do they export? I assume the town of Cheddar, which I have visited, is included. I thought the town of Cheddar would be the center of cheese production. I found it is more famous for Cheddar Gorge.

What is a PDO? I know it as a computer term but that obviously has nothing to do with cheese.

French Fries: Ian is spot-on concerning American fries from hamburger joints. He need not apologize for his opinions. My mother made wonderful "pan fries" out of large potato strips. I never eat the offerings of the chain food vendors. American fries are second only to American donuts in our heart attack inducing diet.

For those who insist this forum is about words, just look at the number of words discussed in Ian's and my posts to this thread. The words just happen to be about food.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:27 pm

I'm with you on fast food joints and the fat they
contain, never to be visited, no in this lifetime.
PDO: I don't know either.
I love cheddar, actually I crave most cheeses.
Had many happy vacations on Eurail, stopping at
places along the Rhine, sitting on a hill with
Cheese, dark bread and wine. Oh the delight.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Can we get back to words, not food?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Not today, Slava. It's the Fourth, and that's a day for eating!
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:17 am

PDO
Protected Denomination of Origin: a geographical indication defined within European Union law in order to protect regional agricultural products and foodstuffs.
In France it's appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC).
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:20 pm

I was once standing in a group and heard a knave pronounce Worcestershire sauce Wor-CHEST-er-shire. We all looked at him like he'd grown a third eye in the middle of his forehead. It's been many years but I still remember that to this day. Funny what sticks in your mind.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

Return to “Good Word Discussion”