Eschew

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Eschew

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:42 pm

• eschew •

Pronunciation: es-chuHear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: To avoid, shun, shy away from; to reject.

Notes: Perhaps the shortest one-liner in English is "Eschew obfuscation", funny to some because both eschew and obfuscation are thought to contribute to obfuscation. However, both these words have now been established as alphaDictionary Good Words, making them simply citizens of a literate vocabulary. One instance of eschewing is an eschewal while the process itself is eschewance; someone who eschews is an eschewer.

In Play: Do not eschew the use of this word wherever you are. It is a very handy term around the workplace: "Gladys Friday tends to eschew work on warm, sunny days." This word also offers a lovely way of expressing your wishes indirectly without resorting to such expressions as gimme: "I get an allergic reaction to flowers but I would not eschew a box of truly excellent chocolates."

Word History: Believe it or not, eschew is English shy in French clothing. Eschew originated in the ancient ancestor of English, Proto-Germanic, as skiva- "to avoid, dodge". This word was borrowed by Old French before it went on directly to become English shy. English borrowed the word back from Old French eschiv(er) "(to) dodge, avoid" as escheuen (before the Old French verb became Modern French esquiver). When Old English gave up the infinitive ending -en, the result quickly became Modern English eschew.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

wurdpurrson
Lexiterian

Re: Eschew

Postby wurdpurrson » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:26 am

I've always liked this word a lot. What a great way to say "keep it simple, stupid", and much more clever than KISS.

PS - I meant that eschew was used with obfuscation, to clarify this post. Eschew obfuscation = keep it simple, stupid.

Mea culpa.
Last edited by wurdpurrson on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:59 pm

heh,heh
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Yaayy Srunk and White!

How do you spell yay correctly?
pl

wurdpurrson
Lexiterian

Postby wurdpurrson » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:10 pm

"Yay!" seems to do it for me, contemperarily speaking. Unless the reference is more archaic, as in "yea" and "nay".

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:35 pm

I like its origins. Now I believe I know where British slang "skive" comes from.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”