tedelakt

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

tedelakt

Postby KatyBr » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:03 pm

I came across this lovely word I wanted to share, =tadelakt, it's a method of adding lime to a surface then soft soaping it to make it shine, often seen as wall surfacing in Morroco
Tadelakt
Tadelakt is a lime plaster brilliant and impermeable which can be used as well in interior as in outside. It is the traditional coating of the palaces, hammams and bathrooms of the riads in Morocco. It has the characteristic "to be shoed" with a roller of river and to be treated with a soft soap to acquire its final aspect. Tadelakt has an aspect soft and fine with undulations due to the work of the roller; it is tight, what makes it possible to also use it to make bath-tubs and wash-hand basins and confers great decorative capacities. Tadelakt is generally carried out with lime of the area of Marrakesh, but other type of lime can also be appropriate.
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jse ... sbid=lc02a

Kt

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:05 pm

Fine word for a fine product, Katy, but what is meant by the «roller of river» that is used to «shoe» the lime on the wall, etc ?...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:23 pm

Ah, Henri, you would ask that. I believe it's trowled on, and then rolled to smooth, I think the definition is a translation, It probably is a very discriptive but flowery Arabic explaination for the process. River is probably a term for a smoothing solution like Slickery mud. Shoeing I believe is applying.

Kt

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:42 am

Thanks, Katy ! Taking the definition as you did for a somewhat too literal translation from a language a bit more flowery than English, I suspected as much, but, to utilise the latest GWotD, I think it wise to entertain a certain degree of skepticism even with regard to one's own suspicions....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”