とても嬉し

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

とても嬉し

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 pm

とても嬉しいです!
私は偶然にインターネットのソフトを見つけました。今日本語で書けます。すごいね!

For the Japanese impaired:

I've found an internet site that enables me to write in Japanese. Cool!

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:13 pm

Very nice, Dude. Why don't you post the URL of that page for the rest of us?

Flam, who definitely needs the site when he writes posts from a Mac...

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:37 am

There you go:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/dow ... fault.mspx

You have to download and install it. I don't know if I expressed myself correctly the first time. That's good enough coming from a guy who barely knows what a webpage is.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:30 pm

If you're using Win XP, it's included, but you have to install it via the Control Panel and its National preferences or whatever it may be in English.

That's what I use for Chinese. Works great. For the Win Japanese IME, I could use a good printed manual. Katakana/hiragana is no problem, but for entering hanzi, I have to resort to drawing them in the IME pad, so should I need them, I would switch to Chinese.

The right to left IME would be great if there were phonetic keyboards. Having to learn assorted national keyboards is no option for me for my present needs, so I enter characters from Insert\Symbol in Word or try to display the on-screen keyboard by launching a recent osk.exe from a diskette and clicking the keys. I haven't managed yet to make the new osk.exe replace the HD system-recognized one, which crashes if you try to use a shifted letter. And Windows makes a complete mess when I try to move around Arabic words. Would that they provided a WordPerfect-like Code view, so that I could keep the start/end right/left control characters (which I suppose are the culprits) in their proper places.

My trusty ol' Global Office has lovely phonetic keyboards for the 100+ languages supported, enabling me to write in Arabic almost as fast as in any other language, but it's not Unicode, and they plan no re-make. Should I ever need to communicate long pieces in Arabic or Persian etc., I would use the GO and make a pdf file.
Irren ist männlich

Return to “Languages of the World”