Buttdial

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Buttdial

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:31 pm

I was thinking of ordinary meaning of upshot or up shot that has nothing to do with up-skirt. It means the final or eventual outcome or conclusion of a discussion, action, or series of events. The conclusion of the article was, to me, a reminder of a very good and funny movie. I am not interested in up-skirts. MTC and Perry were adeptly contributing humor. I was making a comment about the importance of the article to me.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:34 am

Yes, my post was not particularly uplifting.

The main interest, besides the adaptation of skeuomorphs, may be to consider alertness to surroundings, should a female acquaintance visit such metropolises.
Iain

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:39 pm

I have witnessed such scandalous goings on in New York. Actually these updrafts from some building basements are quite cool on a summer day. I have never objected to anyone of any gender standing on them. In the winter they can be warm and mostly one sees the homeless sitting on them. I am not pleased at all with that sight. It is unconscionable that anyone should be homeless in a "first world" country, or anywhere else, for that matter.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:00 pm

My wife and I went to Logan's steakhouse for steaks tonight. Usually, when it plays music, the noise is country and western. Imagine my surprise then as we were finishing our meal. The sounds of a real favorite of mine, D'Indy's Symphony on a French Mountain Air, wafted through the place. As we walked to our car, I could still hear it playing and looked to see where they had installed the outside speakers. Then I thought...I've got that saved on my iPhone. Sure enough it had begun playing happily in my shirt pocket. Why it started, I had no clue, as the last use I made was to check the weather when Vivian asked. It sure wasn't buttdialing, but pocket playing?
pl

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:47 pm

If it was a "smart phone" it might have been self aware enough to be singing along... :wink:

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Who hasn't been watching TV and heard the announcer say "Don't touch that dial! We'll be right back!" even though it's been a long time since our TV's have had a dial and, thanks to remote controls, it's been a while since we've even had a need to get up and actually touch one? Ah, yes, what couch potatos we've become. :D
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

Return to “Good Word Discussion”