Lazy

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Lazy

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:45 pm

• lazy •

Pronunciation: lay-zee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Not eager to work, in fact, eager to avoid work or any other type of exertion, indolent. 2. Sluggish, slothful, slow-moving, as a lazy river. 3. Encouraging idleness or sluggishness, as a lazy summer day.

Notes: Today's word is a common word, especially around this time of the year in North America. Because of the heat, summer is the time of vacations and time off from work. This word comes with an adverb, lazily, and a noun, laziness. The comparatives are lazier and laziest. A person characterized by laziness is a lazybones. Almost as soon as lazy turned up in the 16th century, a verb, laze, appeared, as to laze around the house all day.

In Play: Lazy is used most often in the first sense: "Will Doolittle is too lazy to mow his lawn, so you can barely see his house from the street." However, even diligent folks deserve a patch of laziness in these lazy, hazy days of summer: "Major Slaughter likes to drift lazily around the bay in his catamaran on weekends."

Word History: Today's Good Word was spelled laysy in the 1540s, which makes its history pretty obvious. It was either formed from lay, as tipsy was created from tip, or was heavily influenced by lay. The word is how you would characterize a layabout, making this speculation even stronger. The languages surrounding English all have words sounding like lazy, such as French lassé "tired" and German lassig "lazy, weary, tired". These might have been influential in shaping lazy, too. This word comes from the same source as Russian legu "I lie (down)", and German legen "lay". The English word fellow contains lineage from this word, too. How? Fellow comes from Old English feolaga "business partner", based on fe "money, property" (today's fee) + laga "a laying down". You had to lay down money or other assets even back then to become a business partner. (Albert Skiles is not at all lazy when it comes to suggesting excellent Good Words like today's. He submits scads of them.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Lazy

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:05 pm

It is an easier word to use than
'lack of motivation'; or my 'get-up-and-go" just
got-up-and-went.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:56 pm

In a society driven by the work ethic, "lazy" is the ultimate put down. So it's great when we hear it used in an uplifting way:

Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
And the waving wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain.
Oklahoma, Every night my honey lamb and I
Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk
Making lazy circles in the sky.

Lyrics from the song Oklahoma from the musical of the same name by Rogers & Hammerstein

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:46 pm

Lest we forget, lazy comes from laze, which just might be what many people do in their garden.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”