e-connery, e-fooling, e-bamboozling, e-finagling, e-scam?

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

e-connery, e-fooling, e-bamboozling, e-finagling, e-scam?

Postby Brazilian dude » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:26 am

I've been getting these way too frequently. What do you call them?
Dear Luciano,

Good day and Compliments,

I am a female Student of University of Nigeria, Lagos, (25) and Pursuing my Second Degree course. I like people who Could be Caring, loving and home oriented above all
sincere And honest to Be entrusted with this long-term relationship.
And Again I like fraternity Of helpers`` that have the tenacity and will power to Not back-off or give Up until ``you succeed ``especially in a case of Where one is being Oppressed due to gender disparity. I would like to build up a solid foundation with that person that will be in the
anals* of my life and that of my family.

Well, my father died earlier two months ago and left I and my family behind. He was a king, which our town citizens titled him over sixteen years before his death. I was a Princess to him and the first born child that could take charge of his wealth after his death.
As the most Senior more than eight years older than my younger once, well because of the difficulties Our Mother had before she started giving birth again infact my Brother was considered a miraculous child. More over couple with the fact that my mother is not too literate increased my responsibility in the family I'm now seen as the engine that runs the family.

As a matter of fact,my dad deposited the sum of US $ 7 Million dollars in with D.D.S.C SECURITY EXCHANGE CORPORATION IN EUROUPE.
This money was annually paid into my late fathers account before he transfered it to the Security Company from Shell Petroleum Development Company(SPDC)and> Chevron Oil Company operating in our locality for the compensation of youth and community development in our jurisdiction.
Just recently there has been attempts by my fathers kindred members who feels that they can oppress me because of not only their greediness but also as a female that I'am. But that God who has granted me wisdom in my approach with them. Like they say is good to make hess while the sun shines I agreed with my Family (My Mother and my Youger Brother) to Transfer this Sum out of
the Securty Company and posibly Invest it abroad too before the knowlegde of those greedy Fellows.

It is against this background that I'm contacting you in confidence that you will assist me in tranfering this Money out of the Security Company and posibly advice me on how best to invest it in your country. I'm confident that you are going to assist me so that no one will take over what rightly belonds to my father and our family too, as they are planig to do so. Besides, I still leave some portion of blame to Our Culture that do not also have respect for Women.

Now,i urgently need your humble assistance to transfer this money into your releable custody thats Bank Account, That is why I felt happy when I saw your contact* because I strongly believe that by the grace of God, you will help me invest this money wisely.
I have concluded with my Lawyer to pay you 20% of the total amount for your sincere assistance and maybe after the investment 10%interest of Annual Income for handling this business for us cos we might make one of the Stake Holders.

Please If your going to be sincere in handling this project and again help me in lifting this fund out of the Security company, kindly get bact to me as soon as posible so that I could link you to my Lawyer for the necessary Legal Documentations to that covers the money and further
discussions. Please, note that this transaction is 100% risk free and I hope to commence the transaction as quick as
possible

Please don't forget that as soon as the transfer is Completed I will Send my Lawyer or Travel down myself for Investment. At this junction I will need this things for easy Communication. Requirement.

1) YOUR CONTACT ADDRESS
2) DIRECT PHONE & FAX NO.

Please reply only to my private email adress
funmilayo23_badmos2003@yahoo.it

Thanks for your understanding and anticipated
co-operation.

Yours Sincerly,

Princess Funmilayo Badmos
And their English is the best. I should probably take these things to class one day and let my students take a look at it.

Isn't it funny how these guys in Africa are rolling in money?

* That will need a really big indefatigable ****.
* Dream on, lady!

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:11 pm

a variation on the 419 scam. Also called the Nigerian scam,

Kt
beware the paypal spoofs too.

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:11 am

Dear Friend,

We want to transfer to overseas ($80,000.000.00 USD) Eighty million
United States Dollars) from a Prime Bank in Africa,I want to ask you to
quietly look for a reliable and honest person who will be capable and fit
to provide either an existing bank account or to set up a new bank a/c
immediately to receive this money,even an empty a/c can serve to
receive this money, as long as you will remain honest to me till the end for
this important business trusting in you and believing in God that you
will never let me down either now or in future.

I am Mr kevin Brown,the Auditor General of one of the prime banks here
in South Africa, during the course of our auditing,I discovered a
floating fund in an account opened in the bank in 1996 and since 2000 nobody
has operated on this account again, after going through some old files
in the records I discovered that the owner of the account died without
a [heir] hence the money is floating and if I do not remit this money
out urgently it will be forfeited for nothing.

The owner of this account is Mr.Arthur Coleman, a foreigner, and an
industrialist, and he died, since 1999. and no other person knows about
this account or any thing concerning it, the account has no other
beneficiary and my investigation proved to me as well that Mr. Arthur Coleman
until his death was the manager Diamond Safari [pty].SOUTH AFRICA.

We will start the first transfer with Fourty Million [$40,000.000] upon
successful transaction without any disappoint from your side, we shall
re-apply for the payment of the remaining rest amount to your account.

The amount involved is (USD 80 M) Eighty million United States Dollars
only. I want to first transfer $40,000.000 [Fourty Million United
States Dollar] from this money into a safe foreigners account abroad before
the rest, but I don't know any foreigner, I am only contacting you as a
foreigner because this money can not be approved to a local person
here, without valid international foreign passport, but can only be
approved to any foreigner with valid international passport or drivers license
and foreign a/c because the money is in US dollars and the former owner
of the a/c Mr. Arthur Coleman is a foreigner too,and the money can only
be approved into a foreign a/c. However, we will sign a binding
agreement, to bind us together.

I got your contact through the research i made in the South Africa
chambers of commerce internet bureau {N.C.C.I.B}.I am revealing this to you
with believe in God that you will never let me down in this business.
Send also your private telephone and fax number including the full
details of the account to be used for the deposit.

I want us to meet face to face to build confidence and to sign a
binding agreement that will bind us together before transferring the money to
any account of your choice where the fund will be safe.

Before we fly to your country for withdrawal, sharing and investments.I
need your full co-operation to make this work fine, Because the
management is ready to approve this payment to any foreigner who has correct
information of this account, which I will give to you,upon your positive
response and once I am convinced that you are capable and will meet up
with instruction of a key bank official who is deeply involved with me
in this business.

I need your strong assurance that you will never,never let me down.With
my influenceand the position of the bank official we can transfer this
money to any foreigner's reliable account which you can provide with
assurance that this money will be intact pending our physical arrival in
your country for sharing.

The bank official will destroy all documents of transaction immediately
we receive this money leaving no trace to any place and to build
confidence you can come immediately to discuss with me face to face after
which I will make this remittance in your presence and three of us will
fly to your country at least two days ahead of the money going into the
account.

I will apply for annual leave to get visa immediately I hear from you
that you are ready to act and receive this fund in your account. I will
use my position and influence to obtain all legal approvals for onward
transfer of this money to your account with appropriate clearance from
the relevant ministries and foreign exchange departments.

At the conclusion of this business, you will be given 30% of the total
amount, 60% will be for me, while 10% will be for expenses both parties
might have incurred during the process of transferring.

I look forward to your earliest reply.

Regards,
Mr.Kevin Brown
I'm getting these quotidianly. This is really getting annoying. Have they found you guys too?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:38 am

Yes, BD, it is ridiculous isn't it? Fortunately, Yahoo! Mail and Google Mail both have pretty decent Spam filters, so most of that stuff is caught and shoved into the Spam folder instead of left in the Inbox, so I hardly ever have to deal with it anymore.

-Tim

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:00 pm

yup, BD, I get them in my verizon mail ALL the time. sigh, I sometimes send them back suggesting they contact Merrill-Lynch*.

Kt
*an investment company

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:02 pm

Great idea, Katy. I'm going to do that one day.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:38 pm

Great idea, Katy. I'm going to do that one day.

Brazilian dude
No, that just gives them a live EMail address to pass on to someone else. I just mark it as SPAM and delete it, and think VERY nasty thoughts about the originator.

I've heard that one in version of the "Nigerian scam," once they catch a live one they tell him he has conspired to commit a crime and threaten to turn him in to the police if he doesn't pay their extortion fee!

I've even gotten them addressed to me because my last name matched their so-called "deceased" client and they were looking for someone to pose as a relative. Yeah, right.

Only a few get through Comcast, but they seem to be on the increase. I'm afraid to check my astronomy club account: I can get up to 50 a day AFTER the SPAM Filter does its job. :shock: I think EXTREMELY nasty thought about those buzzards, plotting how I'd torture them if I could get my hands on them. Like, for instance, keeping them in jail and having them read all the SPAM that's sent on the Internet each day in a vain attempt to find the one message from the Governor commuting their death sentence. :twisted:

Spammers are such a waste of skin. They're on a lower level than any humanoid I can think of, except for virus and trojan writers.
Last edited by Stargzer on Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:06 am

Wow, Stargzer! Tough day?

I'd punish them more: I'd have them correct all the English mistakes they've made and each failed correction would be tantamount to a flogging.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:48 am

I'm getting these quotidianly. This is really getting annoying. Have they found you guys too?

Brazilian dude
Just a minor quibbling but I could not remain silent. Is diurnal not a better choice of the adjective whence one derives an adverb meaning "everyday"? Every time I look at the word I relish on the fact that some words have made it into English without getting corrupted by letter J or phoneme [dj]. Well, diurnal has an according-to-my-very-solipsistic-aesthetics ugly diphthong but this is really しょうがない, trade off...

Diurnal
Daily; related to actions which are completed in the course of a calendar day, and which typically recur every calendar day (eg, diurnal temperature rises during the day, and diurnal falls at night).
www.srh.weather.gov/jetstream/append/glossary_d.htm
Flam

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:48 am

quotidian 1 daily, of every day 2 commonplace, trivial

Both diurnal and quotidian go back to Latin dies, diei, so I really think it doesn't make any difference whether ones uses one or the other.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:17 pm

Wow, Stargzer! Tough day?

I'd punish them more: I'd have them correct all the English mistakes they've made and each failed correction would be tantamount to a flogging.

Brazilian dude
Well, I'd really prefer to have them drive unarmored Hummers through Bagdad and other parts of Iraq to see which resource runs out quicker--the spammers or the IEDs . . . at least they'd be doing SOMETHING useful for a change . . .
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:31 am

From a Romance language speaker, I probably chose quotidian over diurnal because the former means to me[/i] happening every day and the latter happening in daylight:

Portuguese:
quotidiano (or cotidiano) - adj., que sucede, que se pratica todos os dias, habitualmente.
diurno - adj., que se faz num dia ou de dia; que aparece só de dia; diurnal;

Spanish:
cotidiano = diario - 1. adj. Correspondiente a todos los días. Salario diario. Comida diaria.
diurno - 1. adj. Perteneciente o relativo al día.

Italian:
quotidiano - 1 che è di ogni giorno; che avviene ogni giorno: lavoro quotidiano; una distribuzione quotidiana di viveri; stampa quotidiana, i giornali che si pubblicano ogni giorno | il pane quotidiano, (fig.) quanto è necessario per vivere, anche in senso spirituale (l'espressione deriva da un versetto della preghiera del «Padre nostro»)
diurno - 1 del giorno; che avviene di giorno: le ore diurne; servizio diurno | l'astro diurno, (poet.) il sole | (albergo) diurno, nelle città, locale pubblico che offre servizi vari (bagni, barbiere, lavanderia ecc.) | (rappresentazione) diurna, spettacolo teatrale che si svolge nel pomeriggio; matinée | animali diurni, che stanno svegli e agiscono di giorno

2 che ha la durata di un giorno | arco diurno, (astr.) quello descritto da un corpo celeste nell'intervallo di 24 ore

English:
1 a : recurring every day <diurnal tasks> b : having a daily cycle <diurnal tides>
2 a : of, relating to, or occurring in the daytime <the city's diurnal noises> b : active chiefly in the daytime <diurnal animals> c : opening during the day and closing at night <diurnal flowers>

Of course that doesn't work perfectly for English, as can be seen in the first definition of diurnal, and can also happen in Portuguese, Spanish and Italian, a usage I wasn't aware of. So, thanks for pointing that out, I wound up learning something, but I'll stick to my preference, which is well documented.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:56 am

Thank you, BD, for your erudite multilingual comparisons. My objection was based solely on phonological aesthetics. Just thought quotidianly is a bit more mouthful than diurnally.

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:38 pm

I was aiming at mouthfulness (see again?)

Here's what Fowler thinks about it:

diurnal should no longer be used in the sense of daily, i.e. recurring every day, though that was formerly one of its possible meaning. In modern use, (1) when opposed to nocturnal it means by day, (2) when opposed to annual etc. it means occupying a day.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:11 pm

... I want to ask you to
quietly look for a reliable and honest person...
I fully understand that you've not yet replied, BD ; they've been looking for this same chap ever since the days of Διογένης of Sinope....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”